New 1080/i7 6700k terrible performance on all games.

Garett1

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
******************EDIT******************************
So I went in to my bios and I reset to default. 144 fps clean on Bf1 with a 144 hz monitor.
H1z1 is over 100+ frames in the heart of cities.
Really the only games I've tested but I want to give any body an update who runs in to this issue, if it helped me it might help you. Happy gaming, community.
***************EDIT*******************

So I recently just upgraded some parts in the PC and every game I run barely touches 60 FPS. Battlefield 1 is getting 45-55 fps most places, unless I'm in a quiet little room then it won't even go over 60 fps, which with my build I am told it should be going over 120 with ease. This is pretty much the case with every game I play, where as I play with a buddy using a GTX 970 and an older CPU is still out performing me.
I'm still pretty unfamiliar with troubleshooting these kind of things, it's my third build and they've all ran somewhat fine with no troubleshooting needed, so excuse me if I seem clueless on some things.
I've tried setting the power plan for my CPU to full performance using ParkControl
I've gone in to my Nvidia control panel and changed my power settings in there as well.

My parts are:
Gigabyte z270x UG Motherboard
Intel i7-6700k
Gigabyte GTX 1080
Ballistix 16gb 2x 8gb DDR4 2400 Ram
SeaSonic SS-750KM3 750W ATX12V PSU
Sandisk 480gb SSD

I just don't understand what is wrong with the rig, it should be performing much better then it is, I'm getting outperformed by my old FX-8350 with an R9-290x, and my current rig is supposed to be 4x better then that.. All my drivers are updated and I have completely wiped windows, and reinstalled my nvidia drivers atleast 3 times now.

Solution
I suggest set everything back to stock and reinstall the drivers after a clean wipe. I can tell you right now just because you are playing at 1080 does not mean you will get low FPS. That is total BS and in fact you would get more FPS than say 1440 or 4k.

Seems to me like your CPU is tied up for some reason while your GPU is barely being used. If it was one game I could see something game related but if its all games than you need to do some checking and see what eating up all the resources.

Ravi Sankar

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Something is bottlenecking you need to analyze further

While playing the Game, simultaneously (may be 5-10 sec refresh interval) You need to dynamic analysis on all the Hardware utilizations like CPU, Disk, GPU (memory & clock).
For CPU -> Task Manager is sufficient enough
GPU -> GPU-Z

with the above analysis, you can find which component is causing bottleneck and fix the problem later

As per the symptoms you said, my guess is disk could be lagging, so, go to System Properties -> Device Manager -> see the mode of disk connectivity make sure that is DMA (should not be PIO)

Make sure there is no virus

Make sure all data & power cables are good

Make sure your OS is 64 bit (32-Bit could not use > 3.x GB RAM)

If you have changed in BIOS, for the time being, do CMOS reset & Keep Best Factory recommended BIOS settings and try playing game

Jim90

Distinguished
Your PC: Intel i7-6700k, Gigabyte GTX 1080, 16gb Ram

And...

"This is pretty much the case with every game I play, where as I play with a buddy using a GTX 970 and an older CPU is still out performing me."

"I'm getting outperformed by my old FX-8350 with an R9-290x"

...something smells decidedly fishy here! Boat + fishing rod?
-->if not, continue with above requested info...

Garett1

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

Alright, I work an evening shift and I just sat down to read the whole thread, yours is the quickest to reply to atm, how do I change the resolution? Do you mean my in game resolution or do I need to change my resolution in the windows settings?

Garett1

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

I'm running 1920x1080
GPU Usage is anywhere between 25-45%
CPU Usage can go up to 95%
CPU speeds running 3396-4403
GPU Running at 1696

The weird thing is I was running a Radeon 470 with this CPU, and every game was a bit better max FPS and the cpu would NEVER go above 60%, but the gpu was ALWAYS at 100% with every game. Now it's almost the opposite with this super amazing GPU ?

Garett1

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

Alright, core speed 4400, I'm not sure what other data I'm looking for.

I got a Cooler master Hyper 212.

Garett1

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

So to start let me just say that with BF1 When I had the Radeon 470 it would max around 65-70 and drop to about 54, 53. Now with this new 1080 not once will it go over 60, and it's only 60 when I'm in a small house looking in the corner with no movement on the screen, otherwise it's dropping to 45. The funny thing is when I had the Radeon 470 installed the GPU was always at 100% but the CPU would never go above 60-70%. Now it's the opposite while I game.

Also I could not find the mode of the connectivity.

Jim90

Distinguished
Run monitor software - msi afterburner is very good - and let us know how your cpu, gfx card and memory are behaving. If you are cpu-locked then you'll see it here! (lots of youtube tutorials on what to do and look at here).

Could you do a quick Google on "6700k gtx1080" and check out a few sites including proper review sites, then report back. I'm sure there's plenty info out there that could provide an interesting comparison - and let us all continue here.
Any of those games fps-locked in-game? - a favourite with developers porting games from consoles.

Is your cpu overclocked?

you should desable overclock for now. keep it at 4.0GHz. check temps @ idle and @ BF1.

The problem is, you have a 1080p resolution monitor, so that's the max resolution you can run your graphics card at.

iamacow

Admirable
Stop spreading lies SgtScream. You obviously don't know this subject very well. it's okay if you want to believe hocus pocus, but try not to confuse people who are really trying to solve a problem.

You can in fact run the game at a higher resolution with super sampling. Also In the BF1 Beta there was a bug that 42% scale resolution in the settings is actually 100%. I don't think its a bug anymore and just normally 42%, but setting that to 100% means your game is rendering at 8K natively in game. Which no card can do. So double check to make sure that isn't turned up to 100%

Cpu utilization will subside when he increases his resolution, placing a significant load on the gpu. I'm sorry but this simply can't be achieved at 1080p resolution. You only need so much power to run games on ultra, 1080p resolution. After that threshold has be reached, the law of diminishing returns takes effect causing an adverse effect in performance.

Garett1

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

So as I'm playing a game my CPU is going up to 90%-100% and my GPU is only using 25-35%. Using afterburner it's set to a stable 1695 Clock speed. I didn't go in to overclock settings but in the bios it gave me the option to use 4.4gh or 4.3, 4.2, 4.1, 4.0. It was on both 4.0 and 4.4 now and both are terrible performance.

iamacow

Admirable
I suggest set everything back to stock and reinstall the drivers after a clean wipe. I can tell you right now just because you are playing at 1080 does not mean you will get low FPS. That is total BS and in fact you would get more FPS than say 1440 or 4k.

Seems to me like your CPU is tied up for some reason while your GPU is barely being used. If it was one game I could see something game related but if its all games than you need to do some checking and see what eating up all the resources.

Solution

Jim90

Distinguished
"So as I'm playing a game my CPU is going up to 90%-100% and my GPU is only using 25-35%"

There's your problem
Now check your CPU activity when not playing a game. Test this also at the stock cpu clock speed. If no improvement during gaming, and there's nothing to free up (cpu idles around 0%), then you're cpu bottle-necked.