fx 6300 vs fx 8350?

tHuser123

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
fx 6300 vs fx 8350. would a higher end cpu make a difference in fps? would I get more fps with the 8350? how to choose cpus?

Solution
Pick the best one for your budget and tasks. If it's gaming, then Intel will be your best bet. It's not that the 6300 or 8320 is bad, just really old compared to the newer CPUs that have come out over the last 5+years. Ryzen might be a great gaming CPU but so far it doesn't seem to be as great as the Intel ones. There are supposed to be some updates coming that might increase its gaming performance. But at the moment Intel is the way to go.

AMDs lower Ryzen CPUs are coming. Their version of the i5 and i3. If you can wait you can see what how they perform and what they cost. I suspect like the higher end CPUs they will fall a bit short.

4745454b

Titan
To be honest I wouldn't get either. AM3 is dead. And neither would make a good gaming CPU.

Ryzen is coming, though it hasn't shown itself to be the superior gaming CPU yet. At this point I'm telling people to wait, or get an Intel CPU. Ryzen has potential but Intel is great now.

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
I would honestly not buy any older generation AMD, they are all fairly low end compared to new AMD AM4 Ryzen or any newer Intel i5/i7. But if you are deadset on buy either the 6300 or the 8350 then I would buy the 8350. It is a bit more powerful and has more cores. I would also make sure you have a good aftermarket CPU cooler and overclock that thing since you'll need all the power you can get out of it.

For $160 you can get an intel Pentium g4560, motherboard and 8gb of ram that will beat out even an 8350 in games and anything that can utilize all 8 of its threads. The fx line is 2012 archetecture so a modern "lesser" cpu smoke it.

Even at the reduced prices since Ryzen came out the 6300 would not be that big of a step up over a 4100 or say a quad core phenom. The 83xx is a 125w cpu and pretty much only the more expensive 990 and 970 boards support it. But as I already stated a cheap intel CPU is more powerfull.

Well first and foremost are you open to a motherboard change?
As stated your current platform is end of life and just a poor "investment" to buy brand new 2012 era CPUs in 2017.

How to choose a cpu comes down to performance needs vs budget and what your motherboard supports if you are unwilling to upgrade platform.

Jo_Bear

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
Personally I went with the 8350 and have been getting about 60fps with Forza 3 on ultra, also runs GW2, FFXIV, Fallout, and Ark with out any problems. I went with the 8350 so I wouldn't have to change mobo's, but I will update to the AM4 this fall I think. Also have a NVIDIA GTX 1060 6gb

4745454b

Titan
Pick the best one for your budget and tasks. If it's gaming, then Intel will be your best bet. It's not that the 6300 or 8320 is bad, just really old compared to the newer CPUs that have come out over the last 5+years. Ryzen might be a great gaming CPU but so far it doesn't seem to be as great as the Intel ones. There are supposed to be some updates coming that might increase its gaming performance. But at the moment Intel is the way to go.

AMDs lower Ryzen CPUs are coming. Their version of the i5 and i3. If you can wait you can see what how they perform and what they cost. I suspect like the higher end CPUs they will fall a bit short.

Solution