RX 460 vs R9 285 at 1080p

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
All,

Ok, so my current PC is running an R9 285 (2GB) graphics card, but am casually looking for a new PC, and my son will get the old one.

If I wind up getting one that comes with an RX 460 (4GB), well, I know that the GPU hierarchy chart puts it at one tier lower than the R9 285 in terms of performance, but how does the amount of RAM come into play on this?

Would I take a performance hit, or does the extra RAM make up for it enough that it becomes a wash?

Solution
The 285 should be a lot faster than a 460. The extra memory doesn't give the 460 extra performance, it keeps it from losing framerate when games or settings require more than 2gb of vram.

The 285 and R9 380 are basically the same thing, so compare both 460s to a 380 in benchmarks and you'll get an idea of the performance difference. It will be tough to find a game that really needs 4gb but also somehow runs well on a 460. This is why I usually advise people to buy the 2gb version of the 460 if they are going to buy one. It's a budget card with budget performance no matter how much memory it has.
The 285 should be a lot faster than a 460. The extra memory doesn't give the 460 extra performance, it keeps it from losing framerate when games or settings require more than 2gb of vram.

The 285 and R9 380 are basically the same thing, so compare both 460s to a 380 in benchmarks and you'll get an idea of the performance difference. It will be tough to find a game that really needs 4gb but also somehow runs well on a 460. This is why I usually advise people to buy the 2gb version of the 460 if they are going to buy one. It's a budget card with budget performance no matter how much memory it has.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
All,

Thanks for the input - the (potential) situation would be that I'd be getting a new PC that came with the 460, and I was wondering if in that scenario I should replace that 460 with the 285 I have in my existing system. The overall answer I'm seeing is that if my new PC comes with a 460, I might be better off pulling that out and sticking my 285 into it.

Given my current setup, though, the 460 is not something I'd shell money out for, particularly as mine is the Gigabyte Windforce OC version of the 285, something I belatedly realized that I forgot to mention in my original post.