fx-8320 never 100%

Zouha

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
So I've been experiencing some low framerates and stuttering in games like GTA V and Forza Horizon 3. I thought it was because of a GPU bottleneck, as my old gtx 760 always hit 81C temps in those games and started throttling, while my fx-8320 stayed moderately cool and never went to full turbo clock or 100% usage.

I then upgraded my GPU to gtx 1060 6gb when I got a good deal on it, and expected to see better performance in games. Well, now I definitely don't have a GPU bottleneck, the gtx 1060 stays under 60C temps, but games till stutter just the same, and fps is about the same. Changing graphic setting to max or min doesn't even affect the framerates because the gpu can handle them ok. My CPU still stays under 100% load, at around 60%, and temperatures won't go higher than 55C either.

What can I do to get the full power out of my CPU???

Full build:
FX-8320 all stock settings, with Cooler Master hyper 212 evo cooler
Asus m5a99x evo r2.0 mobo
Asus strix gtx 1060 6gb
Corsair 2x4GB 1333MHz ram
Thermaltake 650W PSU
Samsung 250GB ssd+1tb hdd
Zalman z1 case with one intake, one exhaust fan

Solution
Games do not use many threads primarily because a game can not be divided up into segments that can be computed individually without interacting with each other. Some parts can, then the speed of the master controller thread comes into play.
Read up on "Amdahl's law" which is a theoretical explanation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl%27s_law

Games involving mulitplayers are easier done where each player can be computed individually.

Zouha

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

Sorry I wasn't clear about that, no cores are hitting 100% either, some being used like 60%, some even less.

Zouha

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

It's not just in intensive games, I just tried to play League of legends, and had some issues with that as well.

GTAv is somewhat single threaded. And.. fx cores are weak.

Be careful how you interpret task manager cpu utilizations.
Windows will spread the activity of a single thread over all available threads.
So, if you had a game that was single threaded and cpu bound, it would show up on a quad core processor as 25%
utilization across all 4 threads.
leading you to think your bottleneck was elsewhere.
It turns our that few games can usefully use more than 2-3 threads.
How can you tell how well threaded your games or apps are?
One way is to disable one thread and see how you do.

You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of processors to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, it tells you that you will not benefit from more cores.
Likely, a better clock rate will be more important.

Zouha

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
I know all this how games don't use 8 threads and FX is <mod edit>. But why are NONE of the cores being used 100% or even above 80%????

<Mod warning: Watch your language in these forums>

Games do not use many threads primarily because a game can not be divided up into segments that can be computed individually without interacting with each other. Some parts can, then the speed of the master controller thread comes into play.
Read up on "Amdahl's law" which is a theoretical explanation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl%27s_law

Games involving mulitplayers are easier done where each player can be computed individually.

Solution