1080 Ti & Future Cards

MitchellBailey1999

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
I am really interested in getting a GTX 1080 Ti but I want to run 2 of them in SLI so I can get 60fps in 4K with ANY game but I am concerned about the cost of that given how often new cards tend to come out (Every 9 months to a year). So should I go ahead with the SI GTX 1080 Ti's or should I just get one GTX 1080 Ti and upgrade to a new card when necessary?

Solution
As someone who's done a lot of SLI I also recommend just sticking with one. It may not hold 60fps all the time in 4k but it will be relatively close. We're talking an average of 55-60 and dips ~43. The performance increase from the TI over 1080's is almost equal to 1080 SLI and those are the numbers I experience.

I'm using ultra settings with V-Sync On, motion blur or any blur off, AA either max or just FXAA on, HBAO usually at max. Many people say you don't need AA for 4k but as I've tried it on 2 very different 4k displays I think it depends on your display. Many say V-sync isn't worth it but tearing can look pretty bad at 4k in fast games.

Witcher 3- 55-75fps
GTA V- 55-75fps Most things at there maxed with a few small compromises...

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
As someone who's done a lot of SLI I also recommend just sticking with one. It may not hold 60fps all the time in 4k but it will be relatively close. We're talking an average of 55-60 and dips ~43. The performance increase from the TI over 1080's is almost equal to 1080 SLI and those are the numbers I experience.

I'm using ultra settings with V-Sync On, motion blur or any blur off, AA either max or just FXAA on, HBAO usually at max. Many people say you don't need AA for 4k but as I've tried it on 2 very different 4k displays I think it depends on your display. Many say V-sync isn't worth it but tearing can look pretty bad at 4k in fast games.

Witcher 3- 55-75fps
GTA V- 55-75fps Most things at there maxed with a few small compromises.
Mass Effect Andromeda 45-60 With everything Ultra or maxed
Doom 60 or more all the time everything ultra or maxed(even in Vulkan)

Solution
All you have to do is lower a few settings in some games and 60fps! The same is true even with a GTX 1080. You can lower a few settings and you can get 60fps or near it with a GTX 1080 at 4K. You would have to do that even with sli gtx 1080 ti. Nothing can run every game maxed out at 4K and get 60fps. And then you've got issues with sli to contend with. Not every game will scale well, sometimes sli will cause lower performance than a single card, there's microstutter, there might be flickering in some games with certain settings, I've personally noticed sometimes the picture is kind of wavy, and most new games are flat out not supporting sli at all. About future cards. I believe that the GTX 1080 ti is the last in the Pascal lineup. Volta is next and I'd guess it's coming anywhere from January to April of next year. It should be called the GTX 1180 and it will have possibly 15% to 20% higher performance than a standard GTX 1080 ti. The GTX 1170 should perform more or less around a GTX 1080 ti. Now Nvidia is saying 10 gaming perfected. I'm guessing they will say something like Turn it up to 11 with Geforce.

Gaidax

Distinguished
SLI/Crossfire is <mod edit> really, you will be forever slave of whims of developers and from what I see, SLI is not their priority lately.

I used to do Crossfire (and SLI really same story) and many of the games that release and you want to play now have very shoddy CX scaling or none at all, until some patch or driver down the road after you are long done with the game itself.

Of course when it works it's great, but very unreliable really.

That said - 1080Ti is barely above 60FPS in quite a few titles in 4K, so probably one year down the road it won't be enough, but really usually such things boil down to one of the two - either you turn down some <mod edit> filtering or some nonsense feature down a notch (o no, you won't see nose hair moving in the nostril of some dude ingame) or you will suffer the terrible fate of having 50 FPS instead of 60 - the terror.

IMO, it is a brilliant 1440p card for years to come and I think 1440p is also the best choice for gaming for next 2-3 years really, until we have a comfortable range of hardware that actually supports 4k 60FPS with extra breathing room and not just barely to meh.

Faike

Notable
Mar 27, 2017
You don't need to SLI. Like the others above me said, SLI seems to cause more issues than it solves.
I only run two cards because I have a card that benefits a huge amount from one card being dedicated to Physx but I do not SLI (I'm talking about 100 FPS difference).
Having one card works best in almost all cases except in rare cases like mine where I'm running older cards that benefit from having a dedicated physx card.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
My only other add is to recommend waiting a little while longer(month or two) for the higher AIB clocked cards. The ones out now are marginal. An air cooled clocking in ~1700-1800mhz should be good and liquid ~2000mhz even better. Nothing really wrong with FE clocks but the closer they can get to 2000mhz the better. I really don't recommend paying extra for anything that only adds 75-150mhz.

TRENDING THREADS