New R5 230 overheating ... urgent ! help please

jolov1c

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
I just bought new R5 230 for my olddd PC (I know it's low gpu but i don't have money right now)..
Playing CS:GO 10-15 minutes results 80 celsius.. idle results 55 celsius !
It's passive cooling gpu.. So how should i cool it down ?
I don't know many things about PC hardware.

My specs :
PSU 400W
GPU R5 230
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66 gHz
2 GB RAM

Solution

Hm... Passive cooling is always pretty hot, but I think you're okay. As long as your temps don't rise too high, you're fine. If the computer shuts off by itself, there is a problem. That will mean it's too hot. Maybe try and put in some more case fans if possible. That will keep the temps down a little bit. Good luck.

KyleADunn

Honorable

Passive cooling = expect things to be on the warmer side.

The 200 series of Radeon cards have a max temp of around 100c, so as long as you're staying below 90, don't worry too much. If you want to cool this card down, generate better case flow by upgrading the intake and exhaust fans.

nicaragua37321

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
High GPU usage can lead to the temps going up. You're probably playing on settings that are too "strong" for your computer. Try turning the settings down a bit and see if the temperature goes down. Passive will be on the warmer side...

jolov1c

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
Thanks for quick reply ! No , I'm playing CS:GO on low right now and temp just keep growing to 80 .. It would grow alot more but i turn off the game..Don't want a new GPU to die..

nicaragua37321

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

Hm... Passive cooling is always pretty hot, but I think you're okay. As long as your temps don't rise too high, you're fine. If the computer shuts off by itself, there is a problem. That will mean it's too hot. Maybe try and put in some more case fans if possible. That will keep the temps down a little bit. Good luck.

Solution

KyleADunn

Honorable

Keep playing on it until it hits a max temp. If it nears 95-100c, turn it off. Otherwise, keep going and see what you max out at. Graphics cards have built in failsafes to make sure they don't melt/catch fire and die if you reach their max.