960 EVO 1 TB: Why is my performance lower than reviewers' benchmarks?

booseek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB
AMD Ryzen 1800X @ stock
ASUS Crosshair Hero VI
GSKILL TridentZ 2x8 GB 3200, 14 @ 2933, 14
Windows 10 Home x64

Legit Reviews
960evo-1tb-cdm.jpg

Mine
98hqw7.png

Specifically, the 4KQ32 is 2-3x lower than Legit Reviews' same benchmark.

I am using the latest 960 EVO driver.

Can it be because my drive is 43% full compared to the empty drive that the reviewer uses?

Palorim12

Distinguished

Did legit reviews use an Intel board or an AMD like yours? In my experiance, AMD tends to not provide full performance out of their ports for SSDs. Especially on Random READ and Write.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are they both running rapid mode or is my SSD just running slow? Is that a Nvme?

Only place my scores are higher than yours are the 4k scores - mine sits in between the two scores (read: 383.4, writes 271.9

do you have latest BIOS or chipset drivers for motherboard, might make a difference as well.

booseek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

I have the latest AMD chipset drivers. I'll check that TRIM check. The board should give the full four PCIE lanes to the SSD. Not sure about the rapid mode; in fact, I don't even know if there is an option to configure the SSD in BIOS.

Palorim12

Distinguished

RAPID does not support the NVME drives.

AMD is well known to not give full RANDOM READ and WRITE performance when compared to Intel systems.

booseek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

It was the "random threads" selection. Why would that not be the default? Also, what does "threads" refer to here in the context of SSDs?

Current benchmark:
lXfeh2O.png

Also, why would AMD not "provide full performance" if there are 4 PCIE lanes for the drive in the M2 slot? That's the maximum performance for the 960 EVO regardless of platform. Aren't PCIE lanes PCIE lanes regardless of the platform?

I'm impressed by your 4K Q32T4 read performance - haven't really seen those numbers before regardless of platform. I wonder why I'm more than doubling your sequential writes, though.

Palorim12

Distinguished

Might be because its in a laptop that doesn't have the best airflow. By the time it got to that part of the test, it probably started throttling.