i5 2400 getting stuck on 1.5ghz and 50% utilization

leeztu

Reputable
Mar 11, 2014
The processor works fine most of the time, but sometimes while under heavier load((from video games)The video game sees no performance drop when this happens)) it goes into a weird state where its stuck at 1.5ghz and 45-50% utilization, i have tried closing down all programs when this happens and it still sits there. It comes out of this state by itself after a little while, what could be causing this and what can be done about it?

Specs:
i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz
14GB RAM
GTX 760
Corsair CX750M

Any advice is highly appreciated. :)

NateTech

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Hello!

From what is sounds like, your monitor software is just taking a little time to process the information, or the CPU is taking time to process the thermal output. Most likely nothing to be worried about, but if you think it's a problem, I'd suggest running separate monitoring software to test if it's just the software you're using.

Hope this was of some help!
:)

- Nate of Ralleon Custom Built

leeztu

Reputable
Mar 11, 2014

The last time i checked inside the case was when i changed my cpu and mobo around a few weeks ago so it's pretty clean in there at the moment. Ill actually check the temps now, ill be back with results.

leeztu

Reputable
Mar 11, 2014

So i checked the temps and it maxed out at 89*C I guess ill have to start upgrading the cooling system then.

Assuming your CPU fan is actually spinning (check that!) it'll almost certainly be dust buildup in the heatsync. Happens all the time. Get a can of compressed air and blast in through the heatsync, I'm pretty sure you'll see a whole bunch of dust chunks fly out of that thing and your CPU temps drop by 40 degrees easy. I have a good quality case with air filters on every intake, but I still get an amazing amount of dust out of my computer on my roughly annual dust-purge.

By all means get a different cooler if you want, but that i5 2400 is hardly a hot CPU, it doesn't need anything elaborate. Just a dust-free heatsync.

Is this speed from task manager? If so the weird speed is because it's not the actual speed. Check with other software that can see speeds per core. But as the others have mentioned temps and with what you have, it seems you are thermal throttling.

leeztu

Reputable
Mar 11, 2014

I changed thermal paste, it seemingly improved my idle temperatures wich were very high but now it goes to dangerously high levels while under stress had it go up to 99