RX 480 or wait for Vega?

HdtvTh_1

Honorable
Sep 15, 2015
So my old gpu r9 380 broke, the store refunded me the money.
Now I can either buy the rx480 or should I wait for Vega.
I haven't read much on Vega, will they even launch a new lineup or just the top end card in the next 2-3 months?
I've hear rumours that rx580 will be just a higher clocked rebrand.

Solution
The 580 is the 480 with clockspeed boosts, that's what I've read. It's questionable how much of a difference that'll make since it's basically an overclocked 480. An overclocked 480 is still going to be in the same performance category as the normally clocked 480. Waiting is something that always has upsides, new cards coming out/lower prices, but the real question is 'can you wait?'. If you need a card now, buy a card now. If you don't need a card now, don't buy a card now.

As for Vega, I think it's pretty obvious the first cards will be high end cards, not $200 cards. Did AMD release the lower end of Ryzen first? No. Why would they do that for Vega?
The 580 is the 480 with clockspeed boosts, that's what I've read. It's questionable how much of a difference that'll make since it's basically an overclocked 480. An overclocked 480 is still going to be in the same performance category as the normally clocked 480. Waiting is something that always has upsides, new cards coming out/lower prices, but the real question is 'can you wait?'. If you need a card now, buy a card now. If you don't need a card now, don't buy a card now.

As for Vega, I think it's pretty obvious the first cards will be high end cards, not $200 cards. Did AMD release the lower end of Ryzen first? No. Why would they do that for Vega?

Solution

hergendy007

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
I read that the 580 will supposedly be a 'rebranded' 480 with higher clocks, but with only 8gb model and a 200 dollar price tag, which was for the 4gb 480. If that's true it might be worth it, but i don't know if that's reliable