1080 tI EVGA FTW3 OR Gigabyte AORUS XTREME

corndog1836

Distinguished
I am torn between these two cards. See Rig in sig. I will eventually SLI so I don't like the Aurorus beings that it is a 2.5 slot and will not have a good air gap between the Cards when I decide to SLI. But I like it's overclock. Also I would have to flash the BIOS to improve the power limit for overclock. The EVGA FTW 3 has a dual bias and is only two slot spacing so when i sli I'll have more air gap. I realize that both these cards overclock north of 2000 megahertz. But the EVGA will go further since I can Flash the 2nd bias. I really like the the Dual bios feature of the EVGA but it looks like the aurous has better Cooling

What to do

Solution
No. The Sea Hawk X Corsair is loud and not that much cooler. The EK X and the liquid cooled ROG card would be my first choice for SLI, if you're going to put $1,400 worth of GPU power in your rig you may as well do it right!
ID always stick to standard 2 slot they all have adequate cooling.
Good luck finding any tough tried to get ftw3 and their all sold out.
Also not sure youd actually need to SLI 1080tis at 1440p my single 1080 runs 1440p most games 100+ fps.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
Why would you want to do SLI in the first place? A 1080 Ti is more than capable of delivering Ultra quality over 60FPS at 4k, and well over 120 at 1440p, there isn't anything even out that you would need to push it more than that right now. And by the time that becomes a reality something far better will be out in the world of GPUs. The difference between 100fps and 60fps is smaller than the difference between 60 and 50fps so adding another card and pushing 200fps on most games is really pointless since you can't even tell the difference.

Despite that, 2.5 slot cards are horrible for SLI, the top card is going to be significantly hotter, always, as it is pretty much always choked for air. And you have a Formula so you will have to use the 1 and 2 slots. If you are going to do SLI I would do an MSI Sea Hawk EK X. An EK loop is expensive as hell, but it's the ideal cooling solution as it is quiet and incomparably cool and if you want two cards, there's no better solution.

Having said that. Between those two strictly I would choose the FTW3, I have looked at it and the only reason it's not an option for me is because I have a personal BIAS against EVGA products, but even I have to admit it looks BA and it could easily be the best 1080Ti available because of the dual-BIOS. But I have never even heard of Auroras so I have no idea what they offer.

For me the challenge is choosing between the Asus ROG Strix and the Zotac AMP! Extreme. I love my AMP! Extreme now, but Asus managed to compete with a 2.5 slot card as a 2-slot card in the 1080 category, if they improved their cooling as much as it looks like they did, it will be no comparison and the Asus ROG Strix will most likely be the coolest, quietest, air-cooled cards with a top-tier OC. Zotac has been the fastest but they are hot and loud because of the Overclocking done to them, if I can get within the same OC range within 1-2 fps like the 1080 version, but significantly cooler and quieter, i'm going with the Asus.

corndog1836

Distinguished
Auros is gigabytes xtreme gpu. I would eventually SLI when I am tired of my Rog Swift 1440p and decide to go with a better 4k monitor in the future like say one to two years from now. When 4K has IPS and 144 megahertz. But maybe you're right maybe something will be better and I won't SLI but I'd like the option of having better cooling if I do because I have added custom cooling fans all over my half X case and have fans blowing on the side of the cards and through the center of the two cards I already have in SLI so my setup has Extreme Air Cooling in positive pressure.phantek fans inside in push/pull from the case mod by utilizizing space from usnused drive bays

http://www.aorus.com/product-detail.php?p=170&t=17&t2=&t3=

You can do that but at this point its kind of wasting money in my opinion due to optimization issues with SLI in general 1 beast GPU is usually what i go i tried 2x1080s in sli just not worth the hassle and money if 1 already goes 80+ fps.

GPU market just moves too fast you can get 2X1080Tis and keep em for 4 years or whatever but i find it its better to just get 1 best one sell it 2 yrs later and get best one again.

Agreed with esco_sid. I just installed an ASUS Strix 1070 OC edition in a customers pc and I have to say that now I'm looking at ASUS for my next card especially now since my EVGA card seems to have issues I recently posted in another thread. My vote is a single most powerful card now and avoid SLI. Heck, even Nvidia has dropped 3x SLI and who knows, they may drop 2 way at some point. I know that sounds whacked to say but I would've never guessed they would've dropped 3 and 4 way due to additional sales potential.

I've had every config out there, 2 way and 3 way sli/crossfire. If you have money to burn, go custom water cooled and OC your CPU and video card to hades and back. I wouldn't waste any money on a power supply to run additional video cards to only pull them out to trade in less than 2 years.

corndog1836

Distinguished

I would most likely get 2 now , and in 2-3 years I will upgrade two levels up and probably go 4k IPS 144mhz(I HOPE) in a new build. so these 1080tis(and the 1440p ROG swift monitor) would eventually to my other build for my daughter she is on 1080p now right now and only plays MOBAS... dunno yet . I have the money tho!!!!

corndog1836

Distinguished

I already have a seasonic ss-1250 PSU see rig in sig.. my cpu is overclocked to 4.8ghz rock solid already(temps never go above 65c under load) with DH-15 Noctua.... DX12 scaling in Mass Effect Andromeda and Rise of the tomb raider is AWESOME in SLI... I also whant to play Prey when realeased..... I dunno....I LOVE HARDWARE!!!!! its my only hobby...
My two EVGA 780ti classifieds were loads of fun, overclocking, benching, flashing custom bios.....I am still on the fence tho about this

corndog1836

Distinguished

the strix is 2.5 and amp is 2.5 also WTF!!!!! if EVGA ftw3 can compete at the 2.0 level .... it should be a lock... although seahawk x AIO looks good for sli

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
No. The Sea Hawk X Corsair is loud and not that much cooler. The EK X and the liquid cooled ROG card would be my first choice for SLI, if you're going to put $1,400 worth of GPU power in your rig you may as well do it right!

Solution

corndog1836

Distinguished

I am building a custom cooling loop ... see this thread
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3378125/custom-water-cooling-sli-overclock-cpu.html

1. did you hear anything on the 1080ti seahhawk ek x?
2. do you think we will be able to raise voltage and power target on it? I will have 720mm of rad space put these babies' under water!!!

3. yes I am NUTS and have money to burn!!!!!! this is my only hobby ,,,,,,I LOVE HARDWARE!!!!

corndog1836

Distinguished

I havedecided to build a custom water loop as my next big leap in gaming and building.... I will not do SLI and will buy one 1080ti EVGA FTW3 dual bios($749) when they are avail on may 1st... I can flash custom bios or use its second bios, I am good with flashing gpus.... I will water cool and overclock the bejesus ouuta it.... 4790k at 4.7ghx and hopfully 2.4ghx on the 1080ti under water for 1440p (ALL EYE CANDY , ULTRA , HIGH FPS)should be good until my next build in 1.5 to 2 years from now.EK sells a water block for the FTW3 coming out in mid May...... gotta get dual bios gpu, there is no reason to get water cool unless I can raise voltage and power target by flashing custom bios......aior cooled aftermarket card can do 2000mhz on stock bios, I could probably get 2400mhx under water whick will keep me somewhat happy for ultra 1440p 144mhz gaming unitl the ned build....SLI is DEAD.... 1080tis can suffer performance loss in pcie 3.0 x8 x8 anyways depending on the game and scaling is piss poor as well....THATS MY STORY AND I AN STICKING TO IT
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3378125/custom-water-cooling-sli-overclock-cpu.html
HERE IS THE THREAD WHERE I AM BUILDING MY NEW WATER LOOP.....everthing except I will only be doing one card

\

Thats been the reason that I go one single powerful card. I would look out for Vega/Volta cards and see if its worth upgrading in the next 3-12 months. Use the 1080ti for physics. I know it will only benefit to a degree in some cases but it will give you that multi card feel that I know your bleeding for, lol!

davoz28caboose

Prominent
May 19, 2017
I have to say the FTW3 has fantastic cooling.. However, ALL cards seem to be limited by Pascal. They simply don't have much room for OCing. That said, on extreme settings a 2nd one is sometimes needed for 144fps in 1440p (i use this monitor) and over 60 in 4k