RX 480 Poor Performance

Solid-Sn8ke

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
So last summer I bought the Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8gb and have never been able to get more than 20-45 (max) FPS out of any major game like battlefield, fallout 4, Mass Effect, etc. I dont know if perhaps my other components could be bottlenecking my GPU but I doubt it. I havent really messed with it lately except I ran that Heaven benchmark and got pretty normal results from what I could see from the official benchmark of the same card. I dont understand, I am getting worse performance than I did with my old sapphire R9 290 tri-x oc 4gb.

Here is my build:
FX 8370
Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8gb
16gb corsair vengeance ram
Corsair 750w
MOBO: Asus sabertooth 990fx

I have already done DDU like 10 times since I got this card and it has never worked to the point where I am getting performance like I see from youtubers with the same card. I need you guys to help me cause I am fed up with this card. The one thing I can think of that could rectify the problem is I heard that this card had power draw issues where it had a limit on its own power and it affected its performance or something. Idk.

Solution
Monitor CPU and GPU usage and core clock, make sure that the core clock isn't dropping (throttling) and if one or both is maxing out it's usage. MSI afterburner/HWinfo will let you display these metrics on screen if you don't have a second monitor to use.
Monitor CPU and GPU usage and core clock, make sure that the core clock isn't dropping (throttling) and if one or both is maxing out it's usage. MSI afterburner/HWinfo will let you display these metrics on screen if you don't have a second monitor to use.

Solution