RX 480 DisplayPort to DVI-D no 144hz option

commanderZiltoid

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
I recently purchased the following RX 480 to replace my R9 270 card. My 270 had a DVI-D port on the back of it. I used this to connect to my Acer GN246HL 144hz monitor. Everything worked as expected, I could select 144hz from within windows 7 monitor settings. Joy.

I have now installed the 480. It does not have a DVI-D port. It has three display ports, and an hdmi port. I ordered the following display port to DVI-D cable, and connected to my monitor. The default resolution in windows is 59hz, with the max being 60hz. No options to go past 60hz. Sadness.

I downloaded the newest version of drivers from amd for this card and did a clean install. Still...only 60hz max. Depression.

What is the problem here? I'm starting to pull my hair out !0_0!

Solution
nope that one is no good, they cost around $100 unfortunately. like bignastyid said you are better off replacing the card for one with dual link dvi-d if you still can. if not, best option would be a displayport monitor like you mentioned to get true 144hz.
its the cable you bought. no wonder the brand is called "BuyCheapCables". they give no useful information. you need to buy an active adapter.

some amazon Q&A about what you bought

Most Relevant Search Results

Review: Do not buy for 144hz
Although it says its dual link, it only really does the stuff that a single link can do, not 144hz compatible.
By Amazon Customer on November 28, 2016

Review: Does not support 144hz. It does not seem to ...
Does not support 144hz.…Not much else to be said....if your looking for a 144hz Dual-Link DVI-D to Display Port look elsewhere. see more
By krjimmi2005 on January 5, 2017

Review: Pretty Disappointed. I have been trouble shooting my new ...
…These are cheap fake Dual LINK. only supports 60hz instead of reaching 120-144hz they only reach 60hz.…I have been trouble shooting my new monitors all day and finally swapped out these cables for true DUAL LINK cables and was able to hit the 144hz. see more
By Raymond on March 6, 2016

You'll need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Accell-UltraAV-B087B-002B-DisplayPort-Dual-Link/dp/B002ISVI3U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435597922&sr=8-2&keywords=bizlink+active+displayport+adaptor

be aware that even with the active adapter you may not get over 120hz with that type of connection.

bignastyid

Titan
You would need a displayport to dual link dvi adapter and they are not cheap and are also not very reliable when trying to get 120hz+. You best option if possible is to return the current 480 and get one of the 480s that have a dual link dvi port.

commanderZiltoid

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

Soo...This guy is a no go too?
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-DVI-Adapter-Passive/dp/B0017K6BD2/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1490917923&sr=8-11&keywords=display+port+to+dvi-d+adapter

Am I better off just to cut my loses and purchase a monitor with a display port jack that can do 144hz. I mean if i have to spend $100 on an adapter that can only hit 120...might as well right?

nope that one is no good, they cost around $100 unfortunately. like bignastyid said you are better off replacing the card for one with dual link dvi-d if you still can. if not, best option would be a displayport monitor like you mentioned to get true 144hz.

Solution