i5 3340 needs upgrade?

OGuncleP

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Hello guys! I have a machine right now, the specs are: i5-3340 (sometimes shows up as 3450 in some programs for some reason) not unlocked, 12gb ddr3 1600mhz ram, MSI GAMING X 4GB RX480 and my question is, would my gaming performance differ much if I went with a i5-6600k oc on a good motherboard with 16gb ddr4 ram, or is it not worth the money?

Solution
if you want productivity, you want an i7 or ryzen 7. more cores + threads help with rendering, multitasking and encoding. Some software companies utilize graphics cards for acceleration (such as vram); however, the processing is done by the processor. If you want a significant upgrade, you could try getting a i7-3770k

$250 https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007SZ0EOW/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
$200 http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201812270805?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

alternatively, you could get an AMD ryzen 7 or Intel i7 platform with new ddr4 memory, ssd and stuff. you'd probably have to get a new Windows license since the OS is tied to your motherboard. In my opinion, there's not really a good answer because...

bboiprfsr

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
depends on your value on worth. what's your profession? what's the objective of the computer - just gaming? do you have a steady income? do you have a small or huge budget? What kind of monitor do you have - important because if it's just 23" 1080p 60hz, not really much reason to upgrade. you could upgrade to a 1440p 144hz monitor as well. there are so many other ways to upgrade your computer. sometimes you might see people on youtube or a website boast about their high end computer. They can afford it because they saved money for it. If you want to upgrade from a 3rd gen cpu to a 6th gen platform with m.2 technology, ddr4 and et cetra, your gaming performance could see 32% in CPU-task related improvement. As for gaming, that's more dependant on the GPU than graphics in some gaming titles.

However, what you do with your money is not worth my time/effort to consider. It's your money - you decide whether it's worth or not. If your computer still works as expected, then continue operating it. However, let's say you saved $1200 during an entire summer. If you want to reward yourself, go ahead. Some people still use their i5-2500k computers in 2017. Only spend when it's necessary or you see value in investing in such a product that can improve your life significantly.

OGuncleP

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017

The situation is I'm a 17 year old high school student that uses this computer for mostly gaming when I have free time as I work an average of 33 hours a week and have school, eventually I would like to try and get into more youtube content creation, I have used this pc for editing since about 2014 and I actually love editing a lot as well, problem is the i5 is sort of showing its age with rendering, especially in 3d. I use after effects and hoped the rx480 would help with rendering times but it did not really do anything as after effects only uses cuda I believe and older gpus at that, sony vegas helps a little bit but not much, with after effects a 10min video with some general effects and editing, slow mo in certain areas, and music in the background in 1080p30 take an average of 2 hours to render, I have also noticed that in GTA V most people with rx480s run very high at above 60fps, I have to dial it back to high/very high in order to get those frame rates, not sure if thats because my rx480 is a 4gb not 8gb or if its my cpu, I also play cpu intensive games such as CS:GO and League and what not, I was just wondering if a i5-6600k or at most a 6700k would net significant enough frame rate boosts in gaming (20fps gains across the board is what I'm thinking) and cuts the rendering time by at least half. I would overclock this cpu to atleast 4.5ghz and I know my current cpu tops out at 3294mhz under turbo. I usually can max any game out in 1080p and get 60+ fps but I was wondering if this new cpu would make the experience more smooth, net a couple fps in games, let me run gta v maxed, and be way better for content creation. Right now I'm making a little bit over 1k a month so I can definitely afford it as I have no real bills besides my car payments, the problem is I'm also trying to save up 5k for a project car I would setup for drifting. In your opinion would the jump in performance be worth it? And what is the better buy? A used 4790k, 6600k, or 6700k? Or perhaps some xeon solution I haven't thought about? Thanks :) Reply would be greatly appreciated and your first response is appreciated as well, thanks for your time.

bboiprfsr

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
if you want productivity, you want an i7 or ryzen 7. more cores + threads help with rendering, multitasking and encoding. Some software companies utilize graphics cards for acceleration (such as vram); however, the processing is done by the processor. If you want a significant upgrade, you could try getting a i7-3770k

$250 https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007SZ0EOW/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
$200 http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201812270805?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

alternatively, you could get an AMD ryzen 7 or Intel i7 platform with new ddr4 memory, ssd and stuff. you'd probably have to get a new Windows license since the OS is tied to your motherboard. In my opinion, there's not really a good answer because it depends on your needs. If you feel like video editing takes too long to process, you can upgrade to a faster processor at your own expense. If you don't mind the wait times, go budget. Also used hardware is often a mix of budget and performance :) People spend $270 on new gtx 1060's and rx 480's and sell them for $200. :O Or they buy new stuff and shave $10-50 on used. warranty is a joke - you spend countless hours undergoing RMA and shipping/handling. it's not worth paying for "new" electronics IMO. i'd rather search for stuff on craigslist/ebay/used amazon.

i3 is entry. i5 is mainstream. i7 is for productivity.

Solution

OGuncleP

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017

Funny you say this because I just picked up a i7-3770k for $176usd off ebay, now I'm just waiting for them to ship it hoping I didn't get ripped off because It's a pretty good deal xD Also waiting for some good motherboard deals to come up so I can OC, anyways thanks for your help :)

bboiprfsr

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
cool man. yeah i had an i5-3570k o.c. for so long lol. such a beast. enjoy.

p.s. the performance between an i3 and i7 should be more or less 2x the speed theoretically with 2x the cores and 2x the threads. you're also getting higher clock speeds and the opportunity to overclock. hope you also have an aftermarket cpu cooler as well ;p

OGuncleP

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017

Haha yeah, the hard part is going to be finding a legit z77 mobo for $120 or less preferably around the $100 range that isn't a fake from China or hong kong :(