3000 MHz ram acting strange with XMP

Andrew130601

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017
So a couple days ago I decided to overclock my 6700K for the first time and I have a stable 4.5 GHz OC on it which I plan to push higher soon, but I have an issue with my ram and XMP settings. I have Corsair Vengeance LPX rated at 3000 MHz but anything over the stock out of the box 2133 MHz setting seems to either make applications and games load slower or will make my system unstable. For example at 2600 MHz the system runs windows but things take longer to load, at 3000 MHz the system boots to windows but will eventually lock up.

I have not made any changes to my ram's voltage as I don't really know much about overvolting ram. Everything else in my system seems to work perfectly when the ram is at stock speeds, my GPU and CPU both overclocked and it plays games great for my needs so i am not overly bothered if I cannot get my rams advertised speeds but I would like to try make it stable.

I understand that I could Google how to do all this but with my luck I'd do it wrong ;) I feel better asking people who have the knowledge

Any help would be great and thanks to anyone in advance :)

Specs:

MB - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
CPU - i7 6700k
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i V2
GPU - Asus GTX 1080 STRIX A8G
RAM - 2x 8GB Corsair Vengence LPX 3000mhz
PSU - Corsair RM650i

Andrew130601

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017

Yes I bought 2X8 in a pack. I will try this later as I'm playing on the PC right now. Can I ask where I input these values? (sorry I'm still new to ram overclocking) I'm on the Asus UEFI BIOS

I just like to point out the CPU might not like 3000mhz ram, I've ran crossed a few cases where users could not get past 2800mhz stable. If anything add a bit more voltage, DO NOT go above 1.4v on the ram, I'd start at 1.35v if its not there already and see if it clears up.

Andrew130601

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017

Thank you but I'd still like to know how to change all these manually because it's still new to me. For the time being I had to disable XMP all together because even when set to 2133 MHz it started acting up