r9 380 (2G) - does it work with 770 series mobo?

Jasonkoi

Prominent
Apr 2, 2017
I just recently acquired a Gigabyte r9 380 (GV-R938WF2OC-2GD (rev.1.1) gpu which I have placed in my ancient computer from back in 2007. Specs are:

CPU: AMD x4 9550
Mobo: GA-MA770-DS3P
PSU: 550w Antec Edge
Ram: 4G
HDD: 620GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
and so forth.

The original mobo driver cd only had working audio drivers (native to Vista) but still worked.

When I installed the GPU drivers from the original CD, it installed but when i dxdiag it comes up with 'Mircrosoft basic Display adapter'. To me this seems like it did not pick up the 380 gpu. When trying to open the Gigabyte OC GURU program it does not open either.

I have noticed on the Gigabyte website they only have windows 10 32bit drivers available and NOT 64bit. I installed the windows 8.1 / 7 64 bit version.

Whwn trying to open the 32 bit windows 10 version it said it was not ocmpatible with my 64 bit version.

Is th 32/64 the problem or could it perhaps be the 2007 mobo is too old to recognise this gpu?

I have also checked whether it was a power issue but both my 6 pin are connected (12 pin in total) and the power rating seems to be ok for this.

Any known solutions or even a finger point to a 64 driver version?

Solution

that is why i said to go to the amd website

Jasonkoi

Prominent
Apr 2, 2017

sorry, I am not sure i quite understand. Do i have to purchase the 32 bit of the OS or ?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

uninstall the cd drivers,most likely out of date

go to the amd website and download the latest gpu drivers for your version of windows

make sure the bios is up to date as well

Jasonkoi

Prominent
Apr 2, 2017

the Gigabyte website does not have windows 10 64 bit drivers, only 32 bit available for download on their site.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

that is why i said to go to the amd website

Solution

Jasonkoi

Prominent
Apr 2, 2017
For some reason the AMD website makes you download a launcher to 'detect' your gpu. I did it for the r9 3xx series. It has a minimal install and the Crimson Relive. I downloaded minimal and it said it did not support the gpu. I downloaded the Crimson relive one and it said the drivers had been installed and can be used. I looked via dxdiag and device manager and it was still windows basic adapter. I restrted the computer to be sure.

In the end I uninstalled all the drivers and softward from AMD and gigabyte. I went into device manager and updated through windows update. After 7 mins of downloading and install, it said drivers completed and detected the r9 380. All my registries have now been updated. In the past I had never truested the windows update because it would never find anything. In this in stance it worked and confirm the r9 380 cards do with with 770 series mobos. However I do believe my cpu will bottleneck the gpu.