i7 920 overheating more on first cold startup

Aleshotgun

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
Recently I've installed a new cpu cooler for my i7 920 (I have an Asus P6T mobo, used the stock cooler for 7 years now) and I can assume that I did a decent work installing and applying the TC, the temps are just fine:
idle - 30/35c (45/50c every core temp)
stress - no more than 50c while gaming for hours
I've noticed though a strange behaviour when I turn on my pc every first time per day, the cpu temp stays always 10/15 degrees above normal, infact I got somethin like this:
idle - 45c (45/50c every core temp)
stress - 60c or somethin while gaming
notice that just the cpu temp is affected, the cores temps are always the same, cpu voltage/speed is always the same, background processes while in idle are exactly the same (I just got hw monitor running) and cpu use on task manager is exactly the same (no more than 2%)

This situation stays as long as I reboot again the pc, going all back to normal, I can "recreate" this issue sometimes when I completely turn off the pc for a bunch of hours, so I can assume that the problem pops out when I cold start the machine.
Recently I've upgraded my ram adding 2 more slots, now I got 4 Corsair Vengeance sticks, a Samsung EVO ssd plugghed with other 3 normal hdds for storage and the new cpu cooler (cooler master hyper tx3 evo)

I know that the temps are ok in every situation, but is annoying because the new fan spins faster, making more noise (dunno if this problem happened before, cause my old fan was slow and noiseless, even with the cpu at 90c or more)

Why did you buy the tx3 cooler? For just a few bucks more you could have gotten a decent cooler :(

Sounds like you have a funny sensor on the board, nothing to worry about. And you can alwas replace the TX3 fan with a quieter one if it bothers you

Aleshotgun

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
I thought it was ok for my needs (my i7 is on stock clocks and I don't think I will oc) and also mounting this model was kinda easy because I didn't want to disassembly the whole pc for a backplate model :(

I won't exclude a funny sensor behavior, because I've also noticed that on HWMonitor, sometimes the "Max Temp" value on CPU states somethin like 109/123c, but I've never experienced auto reboots or throttle, also the air flow next to the cooler seems ok, not so hot.

If that's the issue, there's some workaround that I can actually do? If not, someone experienced a similar issue and manage to find the possible cause?

Aleshotgun

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
BUMP:
I encountered another strange behaviour yesterday, but I dont know if is actually related to this issue. If it strays too much from the topic, just tell me and I will open a new one.

I was playing ME:Andromeda, everything was going fine as always, when I suddenly heard the fan spinning at a lower rate, while the CPU started to make that tipical "loading noise" when it gets on load, however it wasnt the regular noise (after 7 years I recognize the pitch), but a louder and "pitchy" one, like an empty plastic bottle being poked with a stick. I've opened HWMonitor and I saw the fan was still spinning at a lower rate, going from very low to medium in strange intervals of time, for a moment it also went totally off (the RPM was on 0), and then spinning again in the same manner. Consequently, the temps were a little big higher, somethin like 10c more than normal. I rebooted and everything was fine again.

I've already heard that kind of sound on other CPUs, but never on mine, also that fan behaviour was a little odd.

Any suggestions? I really dont know what the problem could be and if I have to worry about it. Any tip would be highly appreciated.