i3-7100, GTX 1060 3GB on 900p?

fullmetaljanus

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
Guys, I need your help before I buy the GTX 1060 3GB. Will my CPU bottleneck this GPU? I only play using my 900p monitor and I'm not really thinking on upgrading to 1080. I would also like to know if I could get ultra/very high settings in this resolution.

I'm just a noob on these things and this is my first time to buy a gpu.

I'm looking forward to play games like GTA V, Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, NBA 2k17, etc. Mostly the popular games these past few years.

My rig:
cpu: i3-7100
ram: HyperX 8gb DDR4
mobo: h110m pro-vd plus
monitor: 900p

Solution
At 900p a 1060 3gb should be able to handle high settings on everything. Ultra depends on the game, some games put ridiculously demanding options into their ultra settings. It's possible that even at 900p your framerate might suffer on ultra. Some games are simply not well optimized and so ultra on those games might be too much.

On open world games, like GTA V and Witcher 3, the CPU is important. So in a game like that you might want to turn down something like view distance, not because the 1060 can't handle it but because your i3 is getting overwhelmed. Overall though, I think the card will deliver what you want.
At 900p a 1060 3gb should be able to handle high settings on everything. Ultra depends on the game, some games put ridiculously demanding options into their ultra settings. It's possible that even at 900p your framerate might suffer on ultra. Some games are simply not well optimized and so ultra on those games might be too much.

On open world games, like GTA V and Witcher 3, the CPU is important. So in a game like that you might want to turn down something like view distance, not because the 1060 can't handle it but because your i3 is getting overwhelmed. Overall though, I think the card will deliver what you want.

Solution

fullmetaljanus

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017

Not yet, I guess. I'm fine with my 900p monitor for now.

I first considered the 1050 ti but then since I can afford the 1060 then maybe I'll just pick this one up. My primary tasks are photo and video editing. Mainly I use Photoshop, Premiere, After Affects, and other adobe programs. Since I'll be getting the 1060, maybe I'll upgrade to i5 soon. You think i5 and 1060 3gb is a good combination in video editing and gaming? Should I also consider saving a few more for the 6gb?

fullmetaljanus

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017

Thank you very much. I'm still kind of stuck with the 3gb and 6gb. Or maybe I'll upgrade my cpu to i5 soon because I use my pc mostly on photo and video editing.