RX 460 (4GB version) vs. GTX 1050 (2GB version)

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
Normally I'd just confide in myself about this, but I'm genuinely wondering right now.. I planned to purchase the MSI GTX 1050 2GB OC from Newegg for 119.99 with 3.99 shipping, and that seemed like the best deal at the time that wasn't a single-fan mini, or a cheaper RX 460. HOWEVER, my mind changed when I saw the Gigabyte RX 460 4GB Dual Fan edition...

at the same price.

119.99, 3.99 shipping. AND 4GB of frame buffer. Now, I could go ask 'which one is better', but I know that, when equally matched, the 1050 beats the RX 460 out. However, their GDDR5 difference is enough to make me consider the RX. Should I? The price tag and increased VRAM makes me want to jump on it, but maybe someone with more logistical understanding of the cards separate architecture (Pascal vs. whatever the AMD equivalent is) and how they differentiate, and what justifies that RX's cheaper price tag.

Solution
As an owner of the Sapphire RX460 4gb Nitro, i believe that those 4gb are being wasted. You won;t see any difference for most titles compared to the RX460 2 gb version which is somehow cheaper. The extra RAM can be used only in some very demanding AAA titles for which the RX460 does not perform so well either way. If you can save money and go for the RX 470 that beats easily the 1050 ti, that would be the best deal. If not, RX 460 is good value for money nonetheless

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017

Thanks for the video! However, the video does not identify if the RX 460 tested is the 2GB VRAM or 4GB VRAM version. The question I'm asking is if the 4GB 460 pars up with a 2GB 1050 at the same price.

Thanks!

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
I did a bit of self research (which I could've admittedly done earlier, go me) and it seems that even with a higher VRAM, the GTX beats the RX.. which is disappointing, to say so. I was really rooting for AMD's price dropped card. However, it doesn't matter to me. The difference is usually only less than 10 frames, and as a casual gamer who plays various E-Sports and minimalistic titles, with few-and-far AAA games in my library, the difference isn't much to gawk at. Even though the performance is a bit better for games on the popularized and optimized 1050, I'll probably go with the RX, because even though it seems not to make much difference, the handy extra 2gb of VRAM feels more comforting.

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017

Yeah, I saw that video. Thanks for posting it! And it makes a very valid point, a little disappointing to say so. AMD has disappointed me a bit with this, but that's probably why the price is the same... personal preference, but a few extra frames isn't much to gawk on, as I'm pretty casual. I might jump on the 1050, or 460. I like them both.

Mammatus

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
Sooooo!?!?! Like I said. Exact same price (119$) after the mail in rebate. And no shipping fee!!! So at the end, this 470 will cost you less than your 460!!! (119$ vs 123$).

As an owner of the Sapphire RX460 4gb Nitro, i believe that those 4gb are being wasted. You won;t see any difference for most titles compared to the RX460 2 gb version which is somehow cheaper. The extra RAM can be used only in some very demanding AAA titles for which the RX460 does not perform so well either way. If you can save money and go for the RX 470 that beats easily the 1050 ti, that would be the best deal. If not, RX 460 is good value for money nonetheless

Solution

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017

After extensive research, I found the 2GB EVGA SSC GTX 1050 outperforms the similarly priced NITRO RX 460 4GB in nearly every instance. Despite higher VRAM, it is still trumped in most games (the very few that are AMD optimized, like the Vulkan version of Doom (2016) have marginal performances to justify purchase.) I will be going team Green. Thanks for all the advice!

I think you are making a decent choice. There are also benchmark comparisons between RX460 2gb and RX460 4gb. Guess what. They perform the same. Enjoy

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017

Update: After a long bit of research, price work-arounds and math.. I've worked a Zotac 1050 Ti into my budget. A wonderful card that will trump both of these, the 460 especially. Thanks for all the help!