Can't go above 100 megabits

Casper223

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
Hi,

I have a trouble with my internet. For some reason i can't reach the full speed, which is 150 megabits. My pc is connected to the router by cat5e cable, so it should be good enough. Also, my motherboard supports up to 1 gigabit, as well as the router.
Sadly, all I can get is around 92-96 megabits, so it looks like it's limited to 100mbps for some reason.

My motherboard is Asrock Pro3 P67, and a router is Huawei HG8247H

Solution
This is done at a very low hardware level so not much can go wrong. Make sure you did not limit it to 100m in the settings on your ethernet nic in your pc. The default is auto.

The most common thing is a cable that is partially defective. I would try another cat5e cable. Sometime wires get just slightly loose inside the ends of the cable. They can work on some pc and not on others. It is a cheap thing to try. Otherwise you start thinking about defective ports in equipment which is expensive to fix but lucky is extremely rare.
This is done at a very low hardware level so not much can go wrong. Make sure you did not limit it to 100m in the settings on your ethernet nic in your pc. The default is auto.

The most common thing is a cable that is partially defective. I would try another cat5e cable. Sometime wires get just slightly loose inside the ends of the cable. They can work on some pc and not on others. It is a cheap thing to try. Otherwise you start thinking about defective ports in equipment which is expensive to fix but lucky is extremely rare.

Solution

No need to repeat what OP posted.

We are saying there maybe something local that's limiting the speed. Plus guess what's gonna happen when you call ISP, they immediately blame your LAN. "Look good from here, it's your wiring, your router, your switch, your PC etc" so may as well do some local testing.

Tech_TTT

Notable
Apr 4, 2017

I was replying to Paul NZ post about "Gigabit internet"

no one in this thread said anything about Gigabit internet.

when the OP said his mobo and router supports Gigabit lan , he was saying that his router LAN ports are not 100Mb/s ... He actually understands what he is saying , and there was no need for Paul remarks about 1Gbit internet at all.