So, rx 480 or gtx 1060?

NanoShadow4

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014
Well, I want to upgrade my system, but I don't really know which GPU to chose between the rx 480 and the gtx 1060. I've seen different opinions on this topic. Others say that the rx 480 is better and will have longer support, and others say that the 1060 is overall better. So, I'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me with this one. I mostly care about playing games in 1080p high - ultra settings as I don't see myself getting a newer monitor for 1440p gaming in the near future. Also, if you've got any other suggestions, keep in mind that I don't won't to cross the 300-350 dollar mark.

Motherboard: asrock fm2a88m hd+
CPU: Amd athlon x4 860K Quad core
Ram: 8GB ddr3

Solution
Neither - your CPU will bottleneck both of those cards.
But you are right in one aspect: about half people here will tell rx is better and other half will vote for 1060, exactly for the reasons you already posted. And actually all of them are right. In some games 1060 is better, in others 480 is better. Those cards are so close in terms of power, that choosing one or another becomes matter of personal preference and budget (as rx is cheaper usually).

I've always felt that the Radeon 480 was better than the nVidia 1060 3gb version, but not quite as good as the 1060 6gb version. Luckily, the 3g 1060 is usually cheaper than the 480, which is usually cheaper than the 1060 6gb card. If your budget allows, go ahead and buy the nVidia 6gb 1060, if you need to save about 20 to 40 dollars, get the r480. Either one will work great at 1080p resolution.

NanoShadow4

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014

First of all, thanks for the reply. Secondly, what CPU would you suggest for me to buy? If possible something budget, like not over 100-150 dollars.

Ridah

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
Depends on what you wanna play. I would get the 480 and start saving up for a Ryzen 6 core or better probably. Alot of games don't really need a great CPU to run but those bulldozer based Athlons are probably pretty terrible. Im happy atm with an FX 8350 but with having 4 less cores I doubt I would be as happy as I am now.

Depending on what games you intend to play, it might be a better idea to save up some money and get a Ryzen and a new GPU at the same time, or just get a 460 and be done with it.

It would be best to save up about $600 to get a new CPU, GPU, and main board together if you want to play all the new demanding games at higher settings.

It basically depends what you wanna play, since you are obviously on a fixed income or not willing to dump money into a hole.

NanoShadow4

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014

well, I don't really mind paying 600 Dollars to get a CPU, GPU and motherboard upgrade. That was my first plan, but I thought I could get the job done much cheaper (by only buying a GPU). Seems like that's not the case.. So, Basically, what you are suggesting is to buy a Ryzen 6 core (To be honest I don't know much about CPU's) a new motherboard and pair those with the rx480? all of that are roughly 600 dollars right? I mean, as long as the new motherboard can take ddr3, I dont have to buy a new ram card, so that would be good. I'd really like to be able to play newer games at 1080p high settings.

Ridah

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014

I would sit back and save some money up and watch Ryzen mature for some time until I had money to order everything I wanted at once without effecting other parts of my financial life and in the mean time Ryzen will mature. You will need new RAM though. The faster the better I guess. I think a new CPU and board are going to be around $350 to $400 depending. Prices will drop over time though and you can always go with the slower 6 cores but with losses in performance ofc. Ofcourse fast RAM and a 480 pushes that up a bit. Depends on where the market goes and if you hunt around for deals. You can cheap out and get the 4 core Ryzen, but 4 cores even with hyper threading are getting phased out in the future. For CPUs I like the idea of getting one thats really good and then just having to upgrade my GPU a few times until my CPU is to old.

Buying any CPU besides the 6 core ryzens is a very stupid mistake these days. The intel line holds nothing for the average consumer but somewhat higher IPC, less cores, and higher prices. The IPC does not justify the higher prices unless all you do is benchmark and play one video game meant for dual or quad cores at a time with no multi tasking what so ever.

Solution