5400 rpm sshd? Or 7200 rpm hdd

Me luvs Gamses

Honorable
Dec 29, 2015
I need help deciding this! So my friend has offered me a 5400 rpm 1tb hybrid drive with a 2gb ssd cache for 50 dollars cad. However since it only has 2gb ssd and only 5400 rpm Im not too sure. I found a 7200 rpm hdd on newegg for 60 bucks with free shipping and it's very nice. I'm not sure which one I should get. My pc rig that I am making will be for gaming so I need fast speed but I can't afford as ssd. A 7200 rpm hdd would be just fine with me but will the 5400 rpm 2gb ssd cache one my Friendoffered me be faster and better for gaming?

Solution
If it's a WD SSHD, run far far away, as fast as you can. They crippled their SSHDs with a ridiculously short head parking timeout (like 8-10 seconds). If it parks the heads, the next time the computer needs to access something from the drive, everything will freeze for a split second while it waits for the heads to unpark. Very annoying in general use, fatal in competitive gaming.

They did it to all their 5400 RPM drives. But the problem is exacerbated in the SSHDs. Since a lot of the drive requests can be handled by the SSD portion, fewer requests get passed through to the HDD portion, meaning the heads on the HDD portion park more often than with a plain HDD. And you get more of these freezes and stutters than with a plain WD...
If it's a WD SSHD, run far far away, as fast as you can. They crippled their SSHDs with a ridiculously short head parking timeout (like 8-10 seconds). If it parks the heads, the next time the computer needs to access something from the drive, everything will freeze for a split second while it waits for the heads to unpark. Very annoying in general use, fatal in competitive gaming.

They did it to all their 5400 RPM drives. But the problem is exacerbated in the SSHDs. Since a lot of the drive requests can be handled by the SSD portion, fewer requests get passed through to the HDD portion, meaning the heads on the HDD portion park more often than with a plain HDD. And you get more of these freezes and stutters than with a plain WD 5400 RPM HDD.

Solution