Solved

Power in small format, gaming challenge

Dear all,
It is time to upgrade my pc but since my lifestyle makes me move a lot lately I was looking to build something that could be smaller than a mid Tower, as such I was looking at a Micro ATX or Mini Atx format and ask the hive mind for help!


0) No need to be cheap for the case, I need one for the long term with a compact design that can be used for gaming!
1) I am upgrading the CPU so that is something we can change together with the motherboard, any suggestions?
2) Can we fit a tri-x 290 GPU in this small case, or if I would like to upgrade which GPU would you suggest? can we fit a 1070?
3) I do not want heating problems, best cooling solution? Water/Air?

Hopefully you can help this noob, in the meanwhile I wish you happy easter!
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power small format gaming challenge
  1. What parts in your current pc that can be reused? Things like hdd/ssd/psu etc. Maybe you'd like to sell it as a system to have funds .... that's fine too.
  2. What is your budget for the build.
  3. Vic 40 said:
    What parts in your current pc that can be reused? Things like hdd/ssd/psu etc. Maybe you'd like to sell it as a system to have funds .... that's fine too.


    I guess everything, whatever is left I will use to build a pc for my dad. Anyway I can reuse GPU, RAM, HDD, SSD, power supply(?), it fits in a mid tower, and basically anything apart from mobo/CPU.
    The cooler I am almost sure is too big so that needs to go too.

    budget depends, but if I could keep the total price of new part under 600$ and no more than 800$ would be nice. If I can keep the GPU ( tri-X R290) I think something reasonable would be: 100$ Case, 200$-250$ for CPU, maybe just get an i7 and some money for the cooler.
  4. That card can be a bit tricky to fit in mini-itx, but not impossible:
    Card Dimensions (L x H)
    12.01" x 4.45"
  5. Best answer
    Something like this:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($38.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI B250I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Tri-X Video Card
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($76.94 @ Jet)
    Total: $505.80
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-17 14:18 EDT-0400

    THe prodigy comes in a wide array of colors as well:
    https://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/prodigy/

    And here's a completed build with that GPU in it: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/FCXH99

    The GPU is a bit long, and you may be better served considering getting an upgrade as well.
  6. You assume he has ddr4 ram when ,since an older build,think that he will have ddr3 ram.
  7. Vic 40 said:
    You assume he has ddr4 ram when ,since an older build,think that he will have ddr3 ram.


    Actually I just forgot to include it.
    Mainly was trying to find a case that would fit the new build.
    He didn't mention how much RAM he had either, but a 16gb kit should only cost about $80-100, which is still the low end of his budget.
  8. James Mason said:
    Vic 40 said:
    You assume he has ddr4 ram when ,since an older build,think that he will have ddr3 ram.


    Actually I just forgot to include it.
    Mainly was trying to find a case that would fit the new build.
    He didn't mention how much RAM he had either, but a 16gb kit should only cost about $80-100, which is still the low end of his budget.


    Thanks a lot, is the new motherboard not compatible with ddr3 Ram? In any case that is not a big problem since I can just put the old memory into my father's future PC :)
  9. InternetofBananas said:
    James Mason said:
    Vic 40 said:
    You assume he has ddr4 ram when ,since an older build,think that he will have ddr3 ram.


    Actually I just forgot to include it.
    Mainly was trying to find a case that would fit the new build.
    He didn't mention how much RAM he had either, but a 16gb kit should only cost about $80-100, which is still the low end of his budget.


    Thanks a lot, is the new motherboard not compatible with ddr3 Ram? In any case that is not a big problem since I can just put the old memory into my father's future PC :)


    yes modern motherboards use DDR4 ram, which is not interchangeable with DDR3.
  10. If you still want to reuse the old ram,

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus H97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($97.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $442.85
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-19 14:28 EDT-0400

    don't know how much you have size wise.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Water Cooling ATX Power Format