1070 Graphics Card Issues - Hardware related?

Matthew_240

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
5hgtygs6b4sy.jpg

This is the bottom of a NVIDIA 1070 GTX MSI.. It was brand new a few months ago. Any ideas what on earth could have possibly caused this or should be looking out for? I didn't notice anything abnormal in the computer itself.

I unscrewed the protective based to get a better look at what was happening beneath and that photo is what was revealed.

That's corrosion, usually from liquid getting on the system or form a moist and/or salty environment. I have seen this happen on systems that are used on near an ocean for example where the windows are open often. If you did not get the card wet, contact the video card vendor to get it replaced.

Matthew_240

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017

I didn't see any build up of moisture inside the machine at all. There is a water cooler in there however.

Is it likely some water from the cooling system has somehow leaked? Or is that highly unlikely?

As far as I am aware this computer is not kept in an environment that is very humid.

Thank you

Yes it's possible for the liquid to leak, and you may only notice it when it's running, and it may have stopped leaking on it's own from the system being moved or something shifting. See if where the card was you have hoses or connections near it, on top of the area.

Matthew_240

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017

Yes it was very close by.

I've attempted to clean this with Alcohol/Cotton Buds it's mostly cleaned but one of the pins was damaged. Haven't tried reconnecting this yet. Any other suggestions before I attempt to get this back up and running?

What permanent damage is likely caused from this level of corrosion? Anyway to repair?

Thanks again.

No way to repair something like this, at least no way that will cost less than just replacing the card. Likely most of the tracings in the area are damaged, aside form damage to the actual parts you can see on the surface.