WIll a i7 3820 sandy bridge bottleneck a gtx 1080ti at all?

Cjohnston03

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
Do I need to upgrade my rig completely or will an I7-3820 running at stock speed bottleneck a gtx 1080ti or a gtx titanXP? I currently have a gtx 1080 and it seems to run well but was just curious on a 1080ti.. I also game at 1440p resolution.

Thanks ahead of time for the answers

Solution
It depends on what framerate you're aiming for. 60fps, the i7 will be good in most games, but it will fall short if you're aiming for 120 or 144.

Why not look at your CPU and GPU utilization and try to determine which one is hitting 100% more often, and limiting your performance in games? Most reviews have found that even with new CPUs, a 1080Ti is overkill at resolutions lower than 4k and will sit mostly idle.
It depends on what framerate you're aiming for. 60fps, the i7 will be good in most games, but it will fall short if you're aiming for 120 or 144.

Why not look at your CPU and GPU utilization and try to determine which one is hitting 100% more often, and limiting your performance in games? Most reviews have found that even with new CPUs, a 1080Ti is overkill at resolutions lower than 4k and will sit mostly idle.

Solution
Yes, it is dependent on the individual game, but it's much like how a modern i5 is "good enough" to hit 60 in most games, but you'll want a modern i7 if you're aiming higher - an older Sandy Bridge i7 is good enough for 60fps in most modern games, with some exceptions, but is going to fall short if you're running a 120 or 144hz screen. I'm making generalities here, I'm not saying that it's only good for just 60fps in every game.

Take Watch Dogs 2 as an example:

w3_proz.png

A stock 2600K (nearly the same CPU as OP has) showed an average of 57fps and minimums in the low 40's, whereas a stock i7 6700 has minimums almost 50% higher and usually stays above 60fps. If we assume framerates will scale linearly with clockspeed (which is not usually strictly true), an i7 7700K overclocked to 5ghz would be getting ~110fps averages, with minimums in the 80's - almost twice as fast as the Sandy Bridge CPU. If OP is running a 120hz screen, the difference would be huge, but if OP is only running a 60hz screen, the only difference would be the elimination of those dips into the 40's.

In Witcher 3, OP's i7 should definitely keep things above 60fps, but falls well short of 120 or 144, which could easily be achieved with an overclocked Kaby Lake chip:

w3_proz.jpg

Going up 5% in 6 generations would be embarrassing. It's well documented that Kaby Lake has an average of 25-35% better performance per clock. This doesn't necessarily equate to 25-35% higher framerates, because you're not always CPU-limited, but sometimes it does when the CPU is what's limiting framerates.