PC Won't start

Just bought some new components for a extra Mini ITX PC from my local Electronics shop, and I'm not even getting to the bios, just pressing the power button and nothing is happening.

Specs: M5A78L-M Plus
CPU: FX-8350
GPU: GTX 1060
PSU: EVGA 650G

I have no idea what could be wrong, I checked to make sure everything is plugged in so that is not the issue, I do have an extra motherboard that I have not tried yet, but im not sure it can support the 8350.
13 answers Last reply
More about start
  1. Is it the M5A78L-M Plus/ USB3?? Thats the only one thats on the site

    If it is look at the sticker on the mobo. Are the last 4 numbers 0205 or higher?

    Did you install the standoffs, connect the 24 pin, cpu fan and ATX12v?
  2. did you use an anti-static wrist strap?
  3. Pull the 24pin PSU plug from the motherboard and try the following guide to turn on the PSU and check that it works OK
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-power-up-an-ATX-Power-Supply-without-a-PC/
    If its fine then pull the 2 pin "power switch" plug from the motherboard header and short the pins with a small srewdriver, this will rule out a faulty power button.
    If it boots then great we have found the problem, if not then I would recommend you remove everything and rebuild it outside the computer case.
    There could be a short somewhere !
  4. Paul NZ said:
    Is it the M5A78L-M Plus/ USB3?? Thats the only one thats on the site

    If it is look at the sticker on the mobo. Are the last 4 numbers 0205 or higher?

    Did you install the standoffs, connect the 24 pin, cpu fan and ATX12v?



    Yeah that's the one, the last four numbers are 0502. 24 pin is connected and cpu fan is in, I'm not sure what you mean by ATX12v though...
  5. mrmike_49 said:
    did you use an anti-static wrist strap?


    No but I touched metal beforehand and i've built pc's before in the same location, so I don't see why it would change now.
  6. kango69 said:
    Pull the 24pin PSU plug from the motherboard and try the following guide to turn on the PSU and check that it works OK
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-power-up-an-ATX-Power-Supply-without-a-PC/
    If its fine then pull the 2 pin "power switch" plug from the motherboard header and short the pins with a small srewdriver, this will rule out a faulty power button.
    If it boots then great we have found the problem, if not then I would recommend you remove everything and rebuild it outside the computer case.
    There could be a short somewhere !


    What do you mean by short the pins?
  7. DavidPumpkins said:
    mrmike_49 said:
    did you use an anti-static wrist strap?


    No but I touched metal beforehand and i've built pc's before in the same location, so I don't see why it would change now.


    1) More advanced processes are more sensitive to ESD.
    2) Is the Relative Humidity there lower than usual?? What is RH there?
    3) Pure luck previously
  8. There are always two power connectors on a motherboard
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4t_WvwuTEQ
    To "short" a pin you just touch both pins with a conductive object like a screwdriver
  9. kango69 said:
    There are always two power connectors on a motherboard
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4t_WvwuTEQ
    To "short" a pin you just touch both pins with a conductive object like a screwdriver


    If I do that, what am I looking for, event wise?
  10. Shorting the pins does the same as pressing the "power button"
    We are trying to rule out a faulty power button so this is why I asked you to do this.
    If nothing happens when you do it then you can reconnect the 2 pin power connector as its not the Power Button that's at fault.
    What exactly did you upgrade/change ?
  11. DavidPumpkins said:
    Paul NZ said:
    Is it the M5A78L-M Plus/ USB3?? Thats the only one thats on the site

    If it is look at the sticker on the mobo. Are the last 4 numbers 0205 or higher?

    Did you install the standoffs, connect the 24 pin, cpu fan and ATX12v?



    Yeah that's the one, the last four numbers are 0502. 24 pin is connected and cpu fan is in, I'm not sure what you mean by ATX12v though...


    The ATx12v is either 4 or 8 pin. it HAS to be connected for it to post / turn on
  12. Paul NZ said:
    DavidPumpkins said:
    Paul NZ said:
    Is it the M5A78L-M Plus/ USB3?? Thats the only one thats on the site

    If it is look at the sticker on the mobo. Are the last 4 numbers 0205 or higher?

    Did you install the standoffs, connect the 24 pin, cpu fan and ATX12v?



    Yeah that's the one, the last four numbers are 0502. 24 pin is connected and cpu fan is in, I'm not sure what you mean by ATX12v though...


    The ATx12v is either 4 or 8 pin. it HAS to be connected for it to post / turn on

    If it is the 4 pin next to the CPU, then yeah that's in.
  13. Finally figured it out, it was just a bad power supply.
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD unrestricted submarine warfare BIOS Components Asus Electronic not working