RX 460 requires more powerful PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Graham

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
I'm gonna buy a RX 460 card. My present PSU is 450W 20+4 pin, My doubt is will the PSU will be able to power my card apart from my system, I'm not gonna overclock it so my doubts are:
1) I can buy a new 500W 20+4 pin PSU that can accomodate my cabinet.
2)Is RX460 plug and play? Especially i'm gonna buy the asus dual fan version so can it run solely with the power provided from the PCIe slot?

Solution

24-pin is universal, dont need to specify unless you have something that is not 24-pin

450w is plenty for that card

there are rx 460's that run on the power from the pcie slot alone, you need one of those if your power supply is crappy and does not come with a 6-pin pcie cable...

ArchieGayLord

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016

I have a Sapphire RX 460 2gb and it doesnt need a powersupply pin just the PCI-E is sufficient. I'm sure though with Asus RX460 but my bet is it should be same

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

24-pin is universal, dont need to specify unless you have something that is not 24-pin

450w is plenty for that card

there are rx 460's that run on the power from the pcie slot alone, you need one of those if your power supply is crappy and does not come with a 6-pin pcie cable

pcie-connectors.jpg

it's not plug and play you need to install drivers after

Solution

Chris Graham

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017

I'm planning on buying the Asus RX460 2gb DDR5 OC edition, Does it need 6 pin or the 4 pin ?

Status
Not open for further replies.