Cheapest CPU to balance with RX 480 based gaming PC

Building a gaming PC soon based on a roughly an RX480 (I will see what exact card I will get by the best deal when ordering). I don't have a strict budget but don't want to spend more than I need to. Options I am looking at are i3 7100 £106 i5 7400 £160 i5 7600K £222 Ryzen 1400 £160 1500X £190 or 1600 £220 AMD boards (that can overclock) are around £10 less. I will overclock if the CPU can.

So which CPU is the cheapest thats still well balanced with an RX480ish GPU or could I even go cheaper when Ryzen 3 releases or a Pentium?
15 answers Last reply
More about cheapest cpu balance 480 based gaming
  1. I'd go with the Ryzen or i5 to maintain thT balance

    But if need be, those pentiums are little monsters.
  2. Either the Pentium G4560, R5 1500X, R5 1600 or i7-7700(k). Those are the 4 I'd always pick depending on the budget.
  3. simon12 said:
    Building a gaming PC soon based on a roughly an RX480 (I will see what exact card I will get by the best deal when ordering). I don't have a strict budget but don't want to spend more than I need to. Options I am looking at are i3 7100 £106 i5 7400 £160 i5 7600K £222 Ryzen 1400 £160 1500X £190 or 1600 £220 AMD boards (that can overclock) are around £10 less. I will overclock if the CPU can.

    So which CPU is the cheapest thats still well balanced with an RX480ish GPU or could I even go cheaper when Ryzen 3 releases or a Pentium?


    The 1600 is what I would pair with the 480 if I am looking for balance. I'd pick the 1700 if I'm looking to add some longevity.

    As far as OCing I see that as a last resort. It's going to start getting its butt whooped in a few years time. The user can then OC to squeeze out the last of its usefulness.
  4. G4560 or 1500X depending on your budget.
  5. Cheers guys, I had a quick look at the pentium reviews/benchmarks an it struggles in a few games so looks like I will go with the 1500X
  6. simon12 said:
    Cheers guys, I had a quick look at the pentium reviews/benchmarks an it struggles in a few games so looks like I will go with the 1500X


    Thanks for the update. Why did you choose the X version? They do both OC. The answer, to me, is more obvious with K Intel processors. Your reason(s)?

    Wait. If memory serves me right(not usual) there isn't a regular 1500 out yet or...
  7. There isn't a non-x version of the 1500X.
    I see you've edited.
  8. I think the point still stands though isn't the 1400 the same as the 1500X just 400mhz lower which should be able to overclock the sameish just comes with a weaker cooler?
  9. Sorry just noticed it has half the cache aswell
  10. I think it's worth the $20, even just for the clock.
  11. Ryzen 1700
  12. Your aftermarket CPU cooler is essential in achieving a safe OC when needed. There are of course boards that are more OC friendly Then the CPU needs to be able to stand on its own. Silicon lottery vs investment? Where are you?
  13. Thanks for the reminder I forgot I can't use my old AM3 cooler
  14. Actually, the 1500X is a 65W cooler and comes with the Wraith Spire cooler, which is good for 90W and I think it came with some of the FX series.
  15. aquielisunari said:
    Your aftermarket CPU cooler is essential in achieving a safe OC when needed. There are of course boards that are more OC friendly Then the CPU needs to be able to stand on its own. Silicon lottery vs investment? Where are you?


    I am in the UK (south east if it matters)
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming PCs CPUs Intel i5