Ryzen 5 build - first time, help needed

Hello,

Could someone please review my build to make sure I didn't make any mistakes or inefficiencies?
My main concerns are:
- will b350/ryzen support 4 sticks of ram
- will my ram sticks run at 3200Hz out of the box
- will my power supply unit be compatible with the case, and is it a good psu?
- is there anything else I need to buy?

Here is the build, please not that I can't save much more money or get much better components.
I'm buying in Serbia, and I'm have to buy it all at the same vendor to save money. Thus, this is the best RAM I can get. Also, RX580 is more expensive than 480 here :)

The build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
MB: MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz HyperX HX432C16PB3K4/16
GPU: ASUS Dual RX480 O8GB
SSD: 250 GB Samsung S850 EVO MZ-75E250B
HDD: 1 TB Toshiba DT01ACA100SATA3 3.5"
PS: 650W Chieftec GPS-650A8
Case: NZXT S340 White CA-S340W-W1

(total cost is about 1.200$ or 1.150EUR)


Cheers!
20 answers Last reply
More about ryzen build time needed
  1. 1. Yes, this board will support 4 sticks of quad-channel RAM, or two sticks of dual-channel.
    2. These sticks will run XMP/standard at the advertised 3200, as long as the board is OCing, as it says.
    3. This power supply form factors to your case, but over in the US it's a very unknown name and I couldn't find it much anywhere. However, the reviews I DID find say it's a decent PSU.
    4. If you don't have your OS, (Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc) you'll need that.

    This is a very nice build, and my only suggestion is to find a bit more of a well known PSU manufacturer, like EVGA or even Rosewill. :)
  2. Atomicdonut17 said:
    1. Yes, this board will support 4 sticks of quad-channel RAM, or two sticks of dual-channel.
    2. These sticks will run XMP/standard at the advertised 3200, as long as the board is OCing, as it says.
    3. This power supply form factors to your case, but over in the US it's a very unknown name and I couldn't find it much anywhere. However, the reviews I DID find say it's a decent PSU.
    4. If you don't have your OS, (Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc) you'll need that.

    This is a very nice build, and my only suggestion is to find a bit more of a well known PSU manufacturer, like EVGA or even Rosewill. :)


    A friend recommended the PSU, he said it was relatively quiet and served him for 8 years.
    I've hear bad stuff about MSI tomahawk boards (ie. one person complained it only recognize less that 8GB of his 16GB of ram and ran it at sub 2500Hz)

    Im getting OS separately (free win 10 for students :D )
  3. Nope_1 said:
    Atomicdonut17 said:
    1. Yes, this board will support 4 sticks of quad-channel RAM, or two sticks of dual-channel.
    2. These sticks will run XMP/standard at the advertised 3200, as long as the board is OCing, as it says.
    3. This power supply form factors to your case, but over in the US it's a very unknown name and I couldn't find it much anywhere. However, the reviews I DID find say it's a decent PSU.
    4. If you don't have your OS, (Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc) you'll need that.

    This is a very nice build, and my only suggestion is to find a bit more of a well known PSU manufacturer, like EVGA or even Rosewill. :)


    A friend recommended the PSU, he said it was relatively quiet and served him for 8 years.
    I've hear bad stuff about MSI tomahawk boards (ie. one person complained it only recognize less that 8GB of his 16GB of ram and ran it at sub 2500Hz)

    Im getting OS separately (free win 10 for students :D )


    Every review of the Tomahawk Arctic says it's a very decent board, with very little issues. If you had your doubts about it, why include it in your list instead of trying to find a better one? If you'd like a better one, here's this-
    (I know it's Newegg, but you may be able to find it elsewhere)

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157761&cm_re=B350-_-13-157-761-_-Product

    It's cheaper (on this page), has great reviews and all the specifications of your Tomahawk.
  4. Atomicdonut17 said:
    Nope_1 said:
    Atomicdonut17 said:
    1. Yes, this board will support 4 sticks of quad-channel RAM, or two sticks of dual-channel.
    2. These sticks will run XMP/standard at the advertised 3200, as long as the board is OCing, as it says.
    3. This power supply form factors to your case, but over in the US it's a very unknown name and I couldn't find it much anywhere. However, the reviews I DID find say it's a decent PSU.
    4. If you don't have your OS, (Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc) you'll need that.

    This is a very nice build, and my only suggestion is to find a bit more of a well known PSU manufacturer, like EVGA or even Rosewill. :)


    A friend recommended the PSU, he said it was relatively quiet and served him for 8 years.
    I've hear bad stuff about MSI tomahawk boards (ie. one person complained it only recognize less that 8GB of his 16GB of ram and ran it at sub 2500Hz)

    Im getting OS separately (free win 10 for students :D )


    Every review of the Tomahawk Arctic says it's a very decent board, with very little issues. If you had your doubts about it, why include it in your list instead of trying to find a better one? If you'd like a better one, here's this-
    (I know it's Newegg, but you may be able to find it elsewhere)

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157761&cm_re=B350-_-13-157-761-_-Product

    It's cheaper (on this page), has great reviews and all the specifications of your Tomahawk.



    Ive read about these doubts after I posted this :)
    My main choice for this one was aesthetics (over, say asus b350)

    Hey man, thanks for helping me by the way :)
  5. Nope_1 said:
    Atomicdonut17 said:
    Nope_1 said:
    Atomicdonut17 said:
    1. Yes, this board will support 4 sticks of quad-channel RAM, or two sticks of dual-channel.
    2. These sticks will run XMP/standard at the advertised 3200, as long as the board is OCing, as it says.
    3. This power supply form factors to your case, but over in the US it's a very unknown name and I couldn't find it much anywhere. However, the reviews I DID find say it's a decent PSU.
    4. If you don't have your OS, (Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc) you'll need that.

    This is a very nice build, and my only suggestion is to find a bit more of a well known PSU manufacturer, like EVGA or even Rosewill. :)


    A friend recommended the PSU, he said it was relatively quiet and served him for 8 years.
    I've hear bad stuff about MSI tomahawk boards (ie. one person complained it only recognize less that 8GB of his 16GB of ram and ran it at sub 2500Hz)

    Im getting OS separately (free win 10 for students :D )


    Every review of the Tomahawk Arctic says it's a very decent board, with very little issues. If you had your doubts about it, why include it in your list instead of trying to find a better one? If you'd like a better one, here's this-
    (I know it's Newegg, but you may be able to find it elsewhere)

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157761&cm_re=B350-_-13-157-761-_-Product

    It's cheaper (on this page), has great reviews and all the specifications of your Tomahawk.



    Ive read about these doubts after I posted this :)
    My main choice for this one was aesthetics (over, say asus b350)

    Hey man, thanks for helping me by the way :)


    No problem! That's what I'm here for. :)
  6. Nope_1 said:
    Atomicdonut17 said:
    Nope_1 said:
    Atomicdonut17 said:
    1. Yes, this board will support 4 sticks of quad-channel RAM, or two sticks of dual-channel.
    2. These sticks will run XMP/standard at the advertised 3200, as long as the board is OCing, as it says.
    3. This power supply form factors to your case, but over in the US it's a very unknown name and I couldn't find it much anywhere. However, the reviews I DID find say it's a decent PSU.
    4. If you don't have your OS, (Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc) you'll need that.

    This is a very nice build, and my only suggestion is to find a bit more of a well known PSU manufacturer, like EVGA or even Rosewill. :)


    A friend recommended the PSU, he said it was relatively quiet and served him for 8 years.
    I've hear bad stuff about MSI tomahawk boards (ie. one person complained it only recognize less that 8GB of his 16GB of ram and ran it at sub 2500Hz)

    Im getting OS separately (free win 10 for students :D )


    Every review of the Tomahawk Arctic says it's a very decent board, with very little issues. If you had your doubts about it, why include it in your list instead of trying to find a better one? If you'd like a better one, here's this-
    (I know it's Newegg, but you may be able to find it elsewhere)

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157761&cm_re=B350-_-13-157-761-_-Product

    It's cheaper (on this page), has great reviews and all the specifications of your Tomahawk.



    Ive read about these doubts after I posted this :)
    My main choice for this one was aesthetics (over, say asus b350)

    Hey man, thanks for helping me by the way :)


    No problem! That's what I'm here for. :)
  7. Ryzen is dual channel only , doesn't mean it doesn't support 4 sticks , just that's its of no benefit over 2 sticks.

    There's a good chance the ram will only hit 2666mhz at the minute , not seen any significant bios updates for that board regarding ram speed .
    PSU - the chieftech is just poor mate.
    Not a cheap build you're doing , buy something better.
    Loot at the xfx units or the newer corsair cxm 550/650w models
  8. madmatt30 said:
    Ryzen is dual channel only , doesn't mean it doesn't support 4 sticks , just that's its of no benefit over 2 sticks.

    There's a good chance the ram will only hit 2666mhz at the minute , not seen any significant bios updates for that board regarding ram speed .
    PSU - the chieftech is just poor mate.
    Not a cheap build you're doing , buy something better.
    Loot at the xfx units or the newer corsair cxm 550/650w models


    Alright, definitely gonna invest some more into PSU.

    What do you think about
    600W Cooler Master RS-600-ACABB1-EU
    http://eu.coolermaster.com/uk/powersupply/office-home/b600ver2/

    Do you know weather ASUS b350 PRIME will give me better options regarding RAM choice?
  9. The ram you picked will work on the MSI board board , just maybe not at full speed (this is the issue non a lot of current / board combos)
    Its something that can likely be fixed via future mb bios updates.

    The only ram that seems to be guaranteed to run 3200 full speed at the minute is gskill flare x but it is shockingly expensive.

    White / black board ?? Consider the asrock b350 pro 4 - I have crucial ballistix sport running on that at 2933mhz which is good enough for me.
  10. I don't know what is available in your area, but I would suggest something in the Tier 2 category, Tier 3 only if your budget is limited:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

    I recently bought a Seasonic G Series, and am happy with it. Runs cool and quiet (I am not overclocking my AMD FX 6300). It is Tier 2.
  11. mjslakeridge said:
    I don't know what is available in your area, but I would suggest something in the Tier 2 category, Tier 3 only if your budget is limited:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

    I recently bought a Seasonic G Series, and am happy with it. Runs cool and quiet (I am not overclocking my AMD FX 6300). It is Tier 2.


    What do you think about 620W Seasonic SS-620GM2
    Will it be enough watts? My GPU seems powerhungry :)
  12. I don't see anything on the specifications page for the GPU that says how much power it consumes:

    https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-RX480-O8G/specifications/

    You can enter all of your parts into PCPartPicker.com and it has a wattage calculator.

    Also look at the Note near the bottom of the GPU's specification page I linked to. This GPU takes up 2.5 slots.

    I will look into the PSU you mentioned. Maybe someone else already knows about it.
  13. The PSU has already been recommended on Toms:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2264021/corsair-cx600-seasonic-620gm2.html

    I couldn't find any reviews for that specific PSU on Jonnyguru.com, which is a good site for reviews. But generally Seasonic is a quality PSU.
  14. mjslakeridge said:
    I don't see anything on the specifications page for the GPU that says how much power it consumes:

    https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-RX480-O8G/specifications/

    You can enter all of your parts into PCPartPicker.com and it has a wattage calculator.

    Also look at the Note near the bottom of the GPU's specification page I linked to. This GPU takes up 2.5 slots.

    I will look into the PSU you mentioned. Maybe someone else already knows about it.


    mjslakeridge said:
    The PSU has already been recommended on Toms:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2264021/corsair-cx600-seasonic-620gm2.html

    I couldn't find any reviews for that specific PSU on Jonnyguru.com, which is a good site for reviews. But generally Seasonic is a quality PSU.



    Managed to find literally just 1 RAM kit in Serbia that is currently compatible with asus boards:

    KINGSTON HyperX XMP Predator 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4 3333 MHz CL16 - HX433C16PB3K2/16

    I'm guessing I can run this one at 3200Hz ?
  15. I am not seeing the 3333Mhz on the Qualified Vendor List for the Asus B350 Pro4"

    http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/index.asp#Memory

    They are showing the Hyper X at 2666 Mhz as the fastest supported.

    But, sometimes the motherboard manufacturers don't update the QVL list. Someone else will have to chime in here, as memory is not my strongest areas.

    Edit: I may have looked up the wrong board. I was looking at the Asrock board that Atomicdonut linked to above. Which ASUS board are you now considering?
  16. mjslakeridge said:
    I am not seeing the 3333Mhz on the Qualified Vendor List for the Asus B350 Pro4"

    http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/index.asp#Memory

    They are showing the Hyper X at 2666 Mhz as the fastest supported.

    But, sometimes the motherboard manufacturers don't update the QVL list. Someone else will have to chime in here, as memory is not my strongest areas.


    The list is here
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/HelpDesk_QVL/

    Its there, with 3333Hz
  17. OK, I was looking at the Asrock board, not the ASUS. I do see the Hyper X 3333 Mhz on the list (page 20), but look in the next column over. It says that RAM will run at 2400 Mhz with Ryzen CPUs. I don't know if a future BIOS update will increase that (as MadMatt) mentioned above. Too bad you have such limited choices where you live.

    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B350-PLUS/PRIME_B350-PLUS_Memory_QVL_20170406.PDF?_ga=1.46683111.1195529641.1490025055
  18. I actually just purchased that Processor+MOBO combo and sadly got that board with the wrong BIOS revision(either that or DOA working on RMA now). Just a heads up warning on that. I think however I was just unlucky, however after handling the board myself it's a beautiful board and I definitely recommend it.
  19. Its there on the qvl mate but standard xmp is showing 2400 MHz.
    This is normal , what I'm saying is do not 100% expect to get speeds past 2666mhz off the bat.

    This seems to be a chipset/board issue rather than outright ram compatibility.

    There are 2 guaranteed combos of x370 boards & ram that absolutely 100% will run at 3200mhz standard but they are very very expensive options.

    If that ram is reasonably priced the go for it , it is at least guaranteed to work.
    Its single sided & hynix I believe so there's the distinct possibility you will get it to 2933mhz.

    I fluked ballistic sport 2400mhz which is running overclocked at 2933mhz (was originally bought for an Intel build not ryzen so Im deliriously happy at my result)
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Build AMD