Solved

PC Wifi Build

Building my own PC. Do i just need a wifi adapter to connect my PC to the internet or do I need something else?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/G4H323/tp-link-wireless-network-card-tlwdn4800
Reply to SandSii
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about wifi build
  1. You only need the wifi adapter and the device drivers for that adapter.
    Reply to CropEditPaste
  2. CropEditPaste said:
    You only need the wifi adapter and the device drivers for that adapter.


    What are device drivers? And how can I get them?
    Reply to SandSii
  3. SandSii said:
    CropEditPaste said:
    You only need the wifi adapter and the device drivers for that adapter.


    What are device drivers? And how can I get them?


    So when you put in a new graphics card or wifi adapter, the computer doesn't have the instructions to make them function properly. This was a big issue back in the 90's and early 2000's but not so much these days, thank goodness. Drivers are the "instruction booklets" so to speak, that your computer reads to make the different components run properly. Without drivers, the component(s) may not work.

    When you put it in your computer, in most cases Windows will recognize the card and download the drivers automatically, but if not, then on the manufacturer's website they have them listed. Here's the link for the card you want to purchase:

    http://www.tp-link.com/us/download/TL-WDN4800.html#Driver
    Reply to CropEditPaste
  4. Give me a budget for your PC and i'll make a list.
    Device drivers are drivers for the hardware you're installing, you can get them from the product page.
    You want an 802.11ac card for higher bandwidth support btw.
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/tTdqqs/gigabyte-wireless-network-card-gcwb867di
    Reply to Chugalug_
  5. CropEditPaste said:
    SandSii said:
    CropEditPaste said:
    You only need the wifi adapter and the device drivers for that adapter.


    What are device drivers? And how can I get them?


    So when you put in a new graphics card or wifi adapter, the computer doesn't have the instructions to make them function properly. This was a big issue back in the 90's and early 2000's but not so much these days, thank goodness. Drivers are the "instruction booklets" so to speak, that your computer reads to make the different components run properly. Without drivers, the component(s) may not work.

    When you put it in your computer, in most cases Windows will recognize the card and download the drivers automatically, but if not, then on the manufacturer's website they have them listed. Here's the link for the card you want to purchase:

    http://www.tp-link.com/us/download/TL-WDN4800.html#Driver



    So this doesn't work with windows 10? On the driver list I dont see it
    Reply to SandSii
  6. It probably will, but see above, the one you listed is extremely poor value for money, you can get much better for cheaper.
    Reply to Chugalug_
  7. Chugalug_ said:
    Give me a budget for your PC and i'll make a list.
    Device drivers are drivers for the hardware you're installing, you can get them from the product page.
    You want an 802.11ac card for higher bandwidth support btw.
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/tTdqqs/gigabyte-wireless-network-card-gcwb867di


    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/sandsii/saved/#view=Jpk3CJ this is my list that i'll be building
    Reply to SandSii
  8. So roughly a 1200 pound list?
    Any reason you need an optical drive?
    You can get drivers and stuff directly from sites, and nobody uses DVDs nowadays.
    Are you only gaming?
    Reply to Chugalug_
  9. Best answer
    The NOX Urano is a very high quality Super Flower rebrand, great value.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£173.94 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£66.14 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£83.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.95 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card (£347.94 @ Aria PC)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£28.98 @ Ebuyer)
    Power Supply: NOX URANO TX 850W ATX Power Supply (£65.21 @ Amazon UK)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£84.60 @ Aria PC)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter (£26.73 @ Amazon UK)
    Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor (£239.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Other: Cooler Master CM Storm MasterKeys Lite L Combo (£44.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1204.44
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-22 03:24 BST+0100
    Reply to Chugalug_
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Connection WiFi Build Wireless Network Internet