Going for i7-3770 or Upgrade to Ryzen?

maurisrx

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my CPU from i3-3220 to at least quad core CPU. If I choose i7-3770, it's going to cost less since it's the same socket and the upgrade process will be much smoother, no windows install, minimal driver updates, etc.

If I upgrade to Ryzen (probably Ryzen 5 1500X), I have to change motherboard and RAM too and the upgrade process will be more complicated, windows install, drivers, etc. The total cost is $160 more than 3770 upgrade in my country currency.

Is it worth it to upgrade to Ryzen instead of i7-3770? What do you think?

Solution
the 3770 is still a really good cpu for gaming, I would get the 3770 and try to get another couple of years out of your current motherboard & ram :)

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
Well, depends on your task. The i7 3770 is an older, but still very useful quad-core CPU. If you're doing regular home task, light video editing, some photoshop every now and again, and some very low-end gaming, sure. But, if you had the money and the future in mind, I'd hands-down give you the Ryzen 5. Yes, it's a costly venture, and yes, the effects might not seem much now. But there's no more upgrading past i7/Xeon in the LGA1155 socket, and Ryzen three series just for now, with A series support and more room for additional CPUs in the AM4 socket. Additionally, you'll see major improvement in RAM speed, SATA III, speed in general, NVMe (if you get one of those), etc. I could go on. Of course, if you're just doing simple stuff, stick with your system. But Ryzen is a very, VERY good choice to go down.

I agree with the 3770 too. If you were considering the 1600 and had use for the six cores (streaming, content creation, etc), then the Ryzen could certainly be justified, but 1500X vs 3770 isn't a huge difference. Getting a 3770 should net you another 1-2 years of usable life out of that PC. Then you can look at a full upgrade for Ryzen Gen 2/3 or whatever Intel's equivalent is at the time.

maurisrx

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Thank you for all the answers! I use my PC mainly for workstation, gaming, and occasional video editing and streaming.

After reading all the inputs, I think I'm going with i7-3770 for now and maybe later upgrade or build a new PC with Ryzen.

TRENDING THREADS