1070 GTX ( Gainward Phoenix GS vs MSI Quick Silver )

Ploomish

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
So I wanted to upgrade from my RX480 to a 1070. There's the Gainward Phoenix GS / GLH ( GLH being selective chip or something, as I found out, better for oc'ing ) and the MSI Quick Silver. The GLH / GS come to 1860 MHZ on the Coreclock I believe while the Quicksilver is on 1797. I was wondering how much FPS difference there is, because I'm not sure about the clearance on my mATX Board, since the Phoenix is a BRICK.

Also, I wanted to know why the Quicksilver has a 1x8 + 1x6 Pin to it and the Phoenix doesn't.

Solution
500w will be enough. And yes i use both the 8 pin and the 6 pin.

Here are the specs and the conformation in them that 500w will be enough.

https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1070-Quick-Silver-8G-OC.html#hero-specification

Oh ya also all my games run max settings at 1080p. I am also sure you can do the same at 1440p resolution. I know this because I have played Battlefield 1 at 1440p with the virtual 1440p settings. Also plenty of Youtube videos will confirm the same. It is a great card.

urbancamper

Distinguished
I own the quicksilver and the advertised OC on that is higher then what is said. Mine was overclocked to 1974mhz out of the box. Not sure about the extra 3 pin though I would surmise it is because of the lighting. I am very happy with it.

I should add that you need to to use the gaming app to do the auto overclock for this card. of course you can always do a manual overclock with afterburner.

Ploomish

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017

I hope I am replying the right way.
I do have the RX480 MSI Gaming X - the Quick Silver seems to have the same fans / noise levels? I mean I won't use the MSI Gaming App ( fucked with my desktop color correction for some reason ) I'll just go Afterburner, as far as I noticed it's like a 3-4 FPS difference when I overclock mine from 1303 ( the RX480 ) to 1360. So it shouldn't be that much. But I'm just wondering, there is a 1x8 pin and 1x6 pin, do you have both plugged in? And do you think a 500W PSU is enough? ( I'm running an i5 6600 non-k with it if that matters. )

All in all I'd prefer the Quick Silver because it'd fit my case for sure, I wouldn't have clearance issues and I'm used to the Gaming X. But oh well. :p How is your experience with it in games - do you play PUBG by any chance?

Thank you up front :)

urbancamper

Distinguished
500w will be enough. And yes i use both the 8 pin and the 6 pin.

Here are the specs and the conformation in them that 500w will be enough.

https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1070-Quick-Silver-8G-OC.html#hero-specification

Oh ya also all my games run max settings at 1080p. I am also sure you can do the same at 1440p resolution. I know this because I have played Battlefield 1 at 1440p with the virtual 1440p settings. Also plenty of Youtube videos will confirm the same. It is a great card.

Solution

Lkaos

Honorable
Dec 13, 2014

Yes, you need to have the 2 plugs connected...
Is 500w enough? I dont know...What's your PSU? If it is a cheap PSU it wont, if not it might...