970 black screen after gaming for 2 hours or more.

Sejersen

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
Hey guys!

I have recently come across an error I haven't seen before. When ever I play games that require "a bit more" from my 970 Strix (4gb), after a few hours of gametime my screens go black and 10 seconds after my sounds dissapears.

The PC however, continues to run. Doesn't turn off, doesn't power down. Just keeps going with high Fan rpm, as if I was still running the game.

I have tried swapping MB to see if it was something do with an old mb.. Didn't work.
As I have read over the internet it could be the 970 Strix card, doing what it does.
However, it could also be my CM V700 maybe dying on me?

Currently I have only experienced this error in games such as Mass Effect: Andromeda and Ghost Recon: Wildlands. And again, the error comes after 2 hours of continously gaming.

My current rig is:

Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
4770k (Non-OC'ed)
16gb RAM. (Honestly, I don't think I put a XMP-profile on these, so they are probs UC'ed to something like 1600mhz, though able to go 2133mhz)
Geforce 970 Strix Black.
CM V700 PSU.

I have saved the DXdiag files, if needed.

Thanks in advance!

**quick Edit **
I have just downloaded the newest GPU driver from Nvidia. (260417)

Kollosso

Honorable
Jan 20, 2015
Have you checked out this Geforce-Formus thread?
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/818456/fix-for-black-screen-crash-asus-gtx-970-strix/

Looks like it's somewhat of a common problem. The fans don't adjust to the heat correctly. Setting up a custom profile seems to fix this.

Sejersen

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013

Hey man,

Thanks for getting back to me.
Yea, I tried that - And it might have given me a few minutes longer. But nothing stable - Sorry for not posting that.
Great idea though, I even tried the underclocking of the card by 70 - 100 hz. Didn't work either.

The thing is, I can get it swapped for a new card - if there's an error on the card, but seeing as my computer doesn't shut down, blue screens or get any artifacts i'm not sure the problem is the GPU. Could it be the PSU?
And how can I test it? (I Actually have Heaven 4.0 and XTU, so I could try a 4 hour Benchmark?)

Thanks!