2500 sq foot House - Router or Access points?

GCOTT2017

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
First and foremost thank you in advance for your suggestions and help.
I just moved into a 3 floor home, router is in the basement (the provider is Rogers). some info to help:
I have wired internet access points (cat 5) at locations on the 1st and second floors. Connection WI-Fi speeds are pretty good but I want to crush speeds throughout the house - currently Wi-Fi is spotty in locations on the 2nd floor and on occasion the 1st.
Goal: Maximize coverage and get even, strong internet Wi-Fi speeds throughout the house.
Should I be looking into a pricey ASUS router or access points (unsure which is the better option?)
Internet use: Netflix streaming throughout the house, some in 4k and gaming on Wi-Fi would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for your product suggestions and help, very much appreciate it!

Solution

Yes. They are easy enough to set up. If you're not confident on setting it up there are plenty of YouTube videos on ASUS routers. They're not that dear either, so buying two of them would certainly cover your entire house. Or you can go for the more stylish Ubiquiti https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ac/.

I'm not sure if they sell this in your...

GCOTT2017

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
Forgive me, I'm not a 'network guy' - is the suggestion to buy say 2 of these and set them up on each floor as access points? Would that mean that if my network is called say 'Home" that anyone moving through the house would stay on the same Home network but the access points would maintain the signal strength? Sorry for what may sound trivial, again, Im not a SME in this area! Cheers

shadow23_69

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Yes. They are easy enough to set up. If you're not confident on setting it up there are plenty of YouTube videos on ASUS routers. They're not that dear either, so buying two of them would certainly cover your entire house. Or you can go for the more stylish Ubiquiti https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ac/.

I'm not sure if they sell this in your area/country though. But definitely the ASUS RT-AC68U is availabe world wide.

Solution

dankbro

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
i recently purchased the rt-5300. noticed a huge difference in range ( my house is 3500sqft 2 stories)
its pretty pricey for a router but you get what you pay for. i was told it will cover 5500sqft range.

i refuse to use wifi boosters ive had too many issue with them in the past.