sdd + 2 drives on poweredge t610

alistair_8

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
I built a power edge t610 from barebone by adding dual xeon dp x5650, 48gb ram and gpu (not sure what the dp stands for still)...i was and still a server newbie..read a lot and still strugelling with raid...after days of trial and error i removed the perc 6i card (put a gpu x16 in its place using a converter cable). now heres the dilemma...i need to sort my hard drives configuration:

currently i have one ssd 250gb as my windows 7 boot drive, i have also
2tb sata hdd internally installed + 5tb external drive via usb (its mac os formated, accessing it via paragone software but im emptying it now so i can reformate it for windows),
and a few other old drives that
i didn't install internally yet as im not sure of their integrity.

what i do now is raid 0 vd, i created one vd with the ssd then added an additional vd with the 2 tb (somehow i learned how to do this and stuck with it.

currently i dont notice any performance improvements im accustomed to with ssds
even my 8 years old dual core laptop is faster with a 60gb ssd.

the newbie questions are:
is their anything i can do to have the ssd benchmarks specially with fast xeons.

should i install back the perc card?

are my thoughts correct to use raid 0?

should i keep my 5tb external as a safer option from disk failuer? (if over 2tb is a possibility in old servers).

is 64bit the best catch or should i leave advanced settings off.

I have 11 years photography work on these drives (with backup offline) plus i use this machine to play music, edit videos and do 3d rendering..
so performance and reliability is important.

raid is very confusing and not all raid options are available, maybe it has to do with me removing the perc card but do i need any other

raid configuration other than raid 0...its the only one from what i read and understood to be the best option for my uses, so i don't think i need any other raid configuration, do you agree??

please if you are kind enough to advice, try and make it simple for me to understand...you welcome to tell me do this and thats all you need lol...

reading up on raid has driven me more confused...i have enough as it is with 3d and video work.
thx in advance for any tips :)

alistair_8

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from alistair_8 : "help setting up drives on server"

I built a power edge t610 from barebone by adding dual xeon dp x5650, 48gb ram and gpu (not sure what the dp stands for still)...i was and still a server newbie..read a lot and still strugelling with raid...after days of trial and error i removed the perc 6i card (put a gpu x16 in its place using a converter cable). now heres the dilemma...i need to sort my hard drives configuration:

currently i have one ssd 250gb as my windows 7 boot drive, i have also
2tb sata hdd internally installed + 5tb external drive via usb (its mac os formated, accessing it via paragone software but im emptying it now so i can reformate it for windows),
and a few other old drives that
i didn't install internally yet as im not sure of their integrity.

what i do now is raid 0 vd, i created one vd with the ssd then added an additional vd with the 2 tb (somehow i learned how to do this and stuck with it.

currently i dont notice any performance improvements im accustomed to with ssds
even my 8 years old dual core laptop is faster with a 60gb ssd.

the newbie questions are:
is their anything i can do to have the ssd benchmarks specially with fast xeons.

should i install back the perc card?

are my thoughts correct to use raid 0?

should i keep my 5tb external as a safer option from disk failuer? (if over 2tb is a possibility in old servers).

is 64bit the best catch or should i leave advanced settings off.

I have 11 years photography work on these drives (with backup offline) plus i use this machine to play music, edit videos and do 3d rendering..
so performance and reliability is important.

raid is very confusing and not all raid options are available, maybe it has to do with me removing the perc card but do i need any other

raid configuration other than raid 0...its the only one from what i read and understood to be the best option for my uses, so i don't think i need any other raid configuration, do you agree??

please if you are kind enough to advice, try and make it simple for me to understand...you welcome to tell me do this and thats all you need lol...

reading up on raid has driven me more confused...i have enough as it is with 3d and video work.
thx in advance for any tips :)