From I5 4460 to I5 7600 is it really worth it?

Lionel_6

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017
As the title says i'm planning on doing an upgrade to my pc. I've got a i5 4460 + 8gb ram ddr3 and a gtx 970. So i was planning on buying a i5 7600 + 16gb ram ddr4 and a new mobo (asus prime b250 pro gaming) but i don't know if it is worth the money. What do you guys recommend? (don't want a K processor because they are more expensive)

Solution
it will be an upgrade but it might be quite expensive for the small performance increase, if you plan to get new mobo, cpu and ram, why dont you look at more cores threads? maybe an AMD ryzen or going up to an i7, id go with a ryzen but you cpu is fairly "new" i would wait a bit longer until the performance gain is worth the money spent.

Rakanyshu

Distinguished
it will be an upgrade but it might be quite expensive for the small performance increase, if you plan to get new mobo, cpu and ram, why dont you look at more cores threads? maybe an AMD ryzen or going up to an i7, id go with a ryzen but you cpu is fairly "new" i would wait a bit longer until the performance gain is worth the money spent.

Solution

Lionel_6

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017

So, i wont notice big changes if i go to the 7600 and ddr4? i would gain like what? 15-20%?... should i buy a new GPU then?

pd: sorry for my english.

Skylake is maybe 10% faster per clock than Haswell, and the 7600 is clocked slightly higher than your chip, but in my opinion an i7 4790 (K) is a far better buy, and probably cheaper overall.

Whether a new CPU or new GPU is a better buy will depend on what games you play.

I agree than an i7 is the better upgrade for you, even if it's Haswell. I like the 4790K because of its higher clock speeds. If you don't go with the 4790K, a Xeon E3-1231 v3 would be a decent choice as it's only 200MHz slower than a 4790 (non-K) and costs about as much as a 4690K.