295 x2 700w psu

danejcy

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2015
Hello!I got used sapphire r9 295x2 without cooler.I tried to boot it with 700w power supply without cooler!I was checking temperature with my finger...So temps weren't so hot...So question is:Can i run (just to see if works) that gpu with 700w psu?
So gpu didnt got any signal or startup screen.Thanks

It's a water cooled card.

21234-00-40G_R9_295X2_WaterCooler_8GBGDDR5_4miniDP_DVI_PCIE_BC_635325658717165811.jpg

AMD grossly violated the PCIe power connector specs for that card. They say that two 336-Watt 8-pin PCI Express power connectors are required. The PCIe specs for an 8-pin PCI Express power connector is defined as 150-Watts.

The card itself can draw up to 646 Watts. You should be using a power supply unit that can provide at least 69 Amps or greater on its combined +12 Volt rails.

Don't run it without a cooler even for 10 seconds this can cause permanent damage. You need at least a 1000w high quality gold psu as that card can pull around 620w+.

You lost me at "gold PSU" there. Being rated gold has nothing to do with this honestly.

Gold rated ones usually have the amps they need.

You are generalizing a lot of stuff though. Any modern power supply that's not group regulated (basically every unit in the 1000W range in 2017) is going to be rated for amps matching the rated wattage. It doesn't have anything to do with it being gold rated, that's an entirely different thing related to the 80+ efficiency testing (which stinks by today's standards IMO and is happily being replaced by Cybenetics).

I know I'm generalizing a lot. It's just that a gold rated pc = higher efficiency so hopefully higher quality. I just suggested it.

Rating is for quality,
But it's all about amps, If you don't have high enough amps on 12v rail for the card, it will not run.

danejcy In the spirit of trying to help you, I have some questions:

Who did you purchase this card from and for how much currency? Do you have the option to return it? Please take, upload and share a imgur photo of your actually graphics card; I really want to see what you mean by no cooler. What are your computer specs, including your power supply's manufacturer and model number.