960 pro or evo

Solution
it's not really important NORMAL REAL LIFE performance wise if you get pro or evo. If you have the budget, go on with pro. Personally, I wouldn't.
Though few comments about your build:
1. The Krapen cooler is crap. unless you buy it for the look. Get Swiftech H220 X2 or H240 X2 for better reliability, customization and performance.
2. The case has very restricted intake and top exhaust. not really suited for high end parts especially when overclocked. (Fractal Design Define S or Define C is an example of great airflow).
3. Founders edition GPU is great if you intend to put a full cover water block on it. otherwise it's just noisy and hot -> less boost, less stable clock = occasional micro freezes/stuttering.
it's not really important NORMAL REAL LIFE performance wise if you get pro or evo. If you have the budget, go on with pro. Personally, I wouldn't.
Though few comments about your build:
1. The Krapen cooler is crap. unless you buy it for the look. Get Swiftech H220 X2 or H240 X2 for better reliability, customization and performance.
2. The case has very restricted intake and top exhaust. not really suited for high end parts especially when overclocked. (Fractal Design Define S or Define C is an example of great airflow).
3. Founders edition GPU is great if you intend to put a full cover water block on it. otherwise it's just noisy and hot -> less boost, less stable clock = occasional micro freezes/stuttering.

Solution

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
The 960 EVO will be great for many people and just fine. Folks who either require a drive that can take many more writes, or just like the warranty of the pro will go with the pro. Its like the old 850 EVO vs 850 Pro. Tons of people ponied up for the pro that will never come close to tolling that drive and the EVO would have been just as good, but people drive to buy the best even if there's no real world benefit (outside the warranty).

I build a lot of professional workstations that beat the hell out of the NVMe SSDs, so I install the pro. I guarantee if I ever buy a large NVMe for my personal rig though I'll be getting the EVO.

Your call at the end of the day.

oscarajung

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
All the answers above are crap for your question.

Here is the difference. The main difference is in writing large files. The 960 EVO can write large files up to 14GB at full speed. If you write a large video files over 14 GB to the 960 pro it will fill up the whole drive (like a 100gb file) at full speed. Try making a copy of a 10GB folder on your own SATA SSD. The first few GB is fine but then it becomes slower and sllower or go systematically up and down in speed.

If your primary use is read speed, go with the 960 - if you write large files for a living can't wait another 20 seconds to offload your camera images or video, then get the 960 pro.

Here is also a quote from Ars Technica:

"Like the 950 Pro, the 960 Pro uses NAND configured to run in MLC (multi-level cell) mode, where two bits of data are stored in each memory cell, which means the drive can maintain full performance during prolonged write operations. That's opposed to, say, less capacious SLC NAND (single-level cell), which stores one bit of information per cell.."

p.s. All the crap written about drive wearing out is complete BS.

It's not really useful to answer 4 months old SOLVED threads.
try to limit expressing YOUR not so humble OPINION in unsolved threads.