i7 2600 + 1070 avg 50FPS in GTA V normal?

adobepro

Commendable
May 3, 2017
Hi everyone,

My system config is as follows:
1. Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
2. i7 2600 (stock clock)
3. 32 GB RAM
4. EVGA 1070 FE
5. 4 1080P S2740L monitors (only displayed to 1)

My question is, is it normal to avg 50FPS in GTA V and about 42 in the city (with more people/cars,) with dips into the 30's?

I replaced my GTX680 2GB for this, and my EVGA 680 2GB achieved nearly the same results, however, I have to turn down draw distance and people variation on the GTX680.

Looking at this video: https://youtu.be/Eg9h7AdN0gw?t=5m21s Is there something I'm missing to get better performance? His i7 2600 is clocked at 4.4GHz, but mine is stock clocked.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I did call EVGA and they recommended the 1060 instead of the 1070 for an i7 2600. Which is nice, they are not trying to upsell, but I can't help wonder, is it really my CPU that's the issue? I don't have the K version, so I can't overclock it to test it. We also set the DSR to 2.00 to offload more work the the GPU and while in the city, with lots of action, GPU-Z reports max of everything (clocks/TDP/GPU Load) but I still get around 41 FPS avg, with dips in the 30's. My CPU hits 62% max in the city/action areas.

Solution
adobepro It's interesting. I was just about to respond to your thread right before you had updated it. I also had suspect that your CPU is bottlenecking, as GTA V is only somewhat optimized. In the video at 4:28 (minutes: seconds) you can see that he has "extended distance scaling" and "extended shadows distance" turned all the way down. Combine this with the fact that your 2600 is clocked at 3.4 GHz and his 2600K is at 4.4 GHz. That's a 29.4% higher clock; almost one-third higher. Your i7-2600 is equivalent to a modern day i3-7100.

If you open task manager [performance] while in game play and tick the option "Always on top", I suspect that you'll see the CPU at 80+ % which indicates that it's at it's limits. You could use HWMonitor...
adobepro It's interesting. I was just about to respond to your thread right before you had updated it. I also had suspect that your CPU is bottlenecking, as GTA V is only somewhat optimized. In the video at 4:28 (minutes: seconds) you can see that he has "extended distance scaling" and "extended shadows distance" turned all the way down. Combine this with the fact that your 2600 is clocked at 3.4 GHz and his 2600K is at 4.4 GHz. That's a 29.4% higher clock; almost one-third higher. Your i7-2600 is equivalent to a modern day i3-7100.

If you open task manager [performance] while in game play and tick the option "Always on top", I suspect that you'll see the CPU at 80+ % which indicates that it's at it's limits. You could use HWMonitor if you want a more precise reading.

Solution

adobepro

Commendable
May 3, 2017
Hi rcald2000, sorry for the long delay in replying, I didn't notice your reply until today.

So, I enabled Turbo and hit 3.7GHz and was able to peak at 73 FPS and avg 55 FPS compared to no turbo, so the 4.4GHz does contribute to the FPS. However, using my stock cooler, my temps on the CPU hit 98C! I bought the Cryorig H7 to help and will install it soon. I already installed it into another 2600 box I have and dropped temps from 98C max to 51C and idles in the high 28's. It was relatively easy to install on my Carbide 500R, but it's gonna be a pain on my Antec 900, where I have to take the MB out to install it.

Thanks!

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I wouldn't recommend overclocking on a stock cooler. Intel no longer even supplies stock coolers with their 'k' overclockable CPUs. The Cryorig H7 is a nice cooler at a exceptional price. I've been dying to try the Noctua NH-U12S.

adobepro

Commendable
May 3, 2017
I considered Noctua, BeQuiet and the EVO, but the H7 was overall the best for me. I like that it's compact yet works very well, that I can keep my side case fan and I like the black cover on the top. I noticed that too, same with the Ryzen X series, which they have Wraiths, but wont sell them bundled with the X series. My next build will be a Ryzen with Pinnacle Ridge (Zen+) -- I got 6 years of service out of my 2600's, and want 1 to more before I recycle them for other uses where the Ryzen will be my main workstation. It's a shame though, I only got the 2600 because it offered VT-d and the 2600K didn't, but they are both capable of reaching 4.4GHz, meaning, I could've even skipped Pinnacle Ridge and went for the Zen++ in 2019/2020 and got a few more years of life out of the 2600 at it's full potential.

adobepro

Commendable
May 3, 2017
BTW, I checked out the Noctua NH-U12S, it's a nice cooler, but like the Cryorig H5 and Be Quiet dark pro 3, they are massive and hard to move your hands around in the case when you need to. Checking the stats on most these coolers, they are +/- 2 to 3 degrees C, so I went with the C7 due to size/design, since the performance was really good and relatively the same, even beating the EVO 212.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!