960 Evo not working at all

Auro11

Prominent
May 5, 2017
So I bought a samsung 960 Evo and basically can't use it.
Can't install the driver, because windows doesn't see it as a useable drive (tried to initialize it through disk manager and couldn't).
The samsung cloning​ software is also useless, as it doesn't detect the drive.
I made BIOS detect it through some options, but it sees it as a 1GB drive, even though it's supposed to be the 500GB model.
BIOS version is 216, updated it just for this process.
Have tried a lot of things and nothing seems to work, so I am considering just returning it and getting a normql sata3 ssd instead.

Computer is an asus G752VT-T7008T laptop.

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Ordering laptops with SATA SSDs and then installing your own NVMe can be a royal pain! I've done it once and probably won't ever again.

- Cloning may not even work. I pulled the windows key out of my install using belarc advisor and I had windows 10 pro media here so I ended up having to do a fresh install, then grab all the drivers from the manufacturer's website. I tried cloning several times and finally gave up. Hours and hours wasted.

- Samsung's cloning software won't like you if both SSDs are not Samsungs, from what I've experienced anyway

- Lastly, your laptop's BIOS just might not play nicely with the 960. Obviously I can't say for sure, but one of the features of BIOS updates is better compatibility with current NVMe SSDs. You'd have to take to the google for any other user experiences though, or just try a different NVMe.

Auro11

Prominent
May 5, 2017

Thanks for your reply!
So after reading that I got my Evo refunded to buy another pcie ssd to see if that works. And what do you know, a p600 intel drive works great. But I still can't get my OS onto it, which is kind of a bummer. My BIOS just doesn't give me the option to change some settings that I need for it, I guess. Also couldn't find any solutions for this on the web.

Anyway, I am heading out to buy a SATA ssd to replace my HDD, maybe it'll let me install windows on there. Will also take my lappy with me to test before I buy.

Auro11

Prominent
May 5, 2017
Ok, so I got a sata III ssd and installed windows on it just fine, but now the system doesn't see my pcie ssd. I tried formatting it and that didn't work.
Great, I think I might have to go and replace the pcie ssd XD
(Sata III ssd is a Crucial MX300 525GB
Pcie m.2 ssd is an intel p600 500GB)