Will a 500 watt psu support a GTX 550ti

Kaz_1_

Prominent
May 5, 2017
My cousin is building a new pc but he can't buy all of the high tech things, so he got some old hardware. His power supply is a Thermaltake 500watt. He wants a graphics card and I'm thinking of giving him my old MSI GTX 550ti. The problem is, I don't know if his psu can support a 550ti. I don't know anything else about his psu.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017

The brand has nothing to do with how well a power supply is besides Logitech and a couple scetchy ones. The 'brand' doesn't actually make the internals. Brands and oems can make some good PSUs and some not so good units. What I'm getting out of this is there is no such theming as a brand being 'not good' or good.

Thermal take has many very good units, aswell as some below mediocre quality ones. @OP could you please specify the exact model of the PSU. This will help decider it's build quality and whether it has enough wattage for your system.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017

If you're going by brand you may as well add Antec, Be Quiet, Bitfenix, cooler master, corsair, ernermax, EVGA, FSP, lepa, NZXT, Seasonic, sentry, silver stone, superflower, thermaltake, xfx, and more. I say this because they all make some good quality units.

I advise against going by brand, as already mentioned they all have their rotten apples. It is best to base the choice off specific models.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED

Ya. In general, anything above 600-700 W tends to be good.
Isn't it JohnnyGuru who does PSU tests? Anyway, google reviews on ANY PSU, Threadstarter.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017

Not necessarily with the wattage part. There are many great quality units under 600w, in fact most of the time they tend to be cheaper/better value than a 600w+ unit. Most modern builds won't even need 650 watts anyways. 'SLI future proofing' isn't really a point, as most people who say they will won't actually get around to add another GPU. Also, it is better to sell the current GPU and get one larger one instead of sli/crossfire. There are also many poor quality and/or overpriced units above 600w, many of which are still commonly sold today.

JonnyGuru does perform tests and visual reviews of internals and externals of PSUs. They aren't the only ones though, tech powerful do them, toms hardware does them, kitguru, itocp and more. Some are more in depth than others too, depending on the author and reviewer's efforts.