1080 sli question

jdq1412

Honorable
May 17, 2016
Hello, im running 2 gtx 1080 ftw in my system, top card is a hybrid second is air cooled. Bottom card runs around 74 degrees, while top card sits at 34 degrees. I dont have any performance issues, its just that bottom card is running way hot while top card is running even cooler than when i had it by itself. Bottom card is about 2 inches away from psu which is blowing air downward.

Solution

no, but the bottom card is heating the top one....(yes I know it's not running hot, but I would never needlessly let something run hotter than it needs to).
Do you have anymore pci 3x16 slots? Do you have any ability to get more airflow to the hot card? I've got 2 aircooled cards, I spent a whole afternoon one day a year ago messing with cables and moving the cards around to find the best cooling solution. Not to mention swapping out some case fans. Keep in mind that 74 isn't going to cause throttling(when I tinkered...

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
hot air rises, I would place the air cooled on top, that's me. if i had to guess, I would bet there's better airflow to the top card anyways, and the water cooled card is not very reliant on airflow to the actual card(I know about the fan and vrms and, but the big temp producer is the gpu and that's not air cooled). So long as the water tubes are long enough, i would swap the cards around, if it were me.

jdq1412

Honorable
May 17, 2016
Top card is water cooled, and the fan that has at the end i have set always around 30% rpm, and i think the fan is actually blowing air inward hitting the vrm, so the top card isnt really heating the bottom one.

jdq1412

Honorable
May 17, 2016

The thing is that the space between the top and bottom card is like 1 inch, which is less than the space between bottom gpu and the psu.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

no, but the bottom card is heating the top one....(yes I know it's not running hot, but I would never needlessly let something run hotter than it needs to).
Do you have anymore pci 3x16 slots? Do you have any ability to get more airflow to the hot card? I've got 2 aircooled cards, I spent a whole afternoon one day a year ago messing with cables and moving the cards around to find the best cooling solution. Not to mention swapping out some case fans. Keep in mind that 74 isn't going to cause throttling(when I tinkered with my setup, my goal was to keep both cards below 70, I succeeded).

Solution

jdq1412

Honorable
May 17, 2016

Ill try swapping them and see if it improves anything. As a last resort ill have to buy a hybrid kit for the second card. Thanks for the replies guys.

TRENDING THREADS