Date sent: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 13:18:06 -0700
From: "servicecenter_am@asus.com" <servicecenter_am@asus.com>
To: MY EMAIL
Subject: Re:Re: Rescue mode.;ASUS Service No=N170...

> From:
> &quot;servicecenter_am@asus.com&quot;&nbsp;&lt;servicecenter_am@asus.com&gt;<b
> r>
> To: ;<br>
> Subject: Re:Rescue&nbsp;mode.;ASUS&nbsp;Service&nbsp;No=N170...<br>
>
> (*Please do not change the subject line when you reply to this email)
> Hello...,
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> Networking BU has modified firmware verification policy to comply with new
> regulatory amendments. Networking product manufacturers are not allowed to let
> users
> change the power limit by installing 3rd party firmware (e.g. Merlin, DDWRT,
> Tomato
> FW) into their products. BU is currently cooperating with those firmware
> developers to
> make sure their firmware works on ASUS products with the power limit complying
> with
> the law. There might be complaints from customers during this time.
> If customer asks, please help communicate with them. Please find below for
> more
> information:
> l New Firmware Policy
> Once users install firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.3264 (and all versions after
> this version),
> the following mechanism will apply:
> 1. Users are NOT able to install any firmware in
> version prior to this version.
> 2. Users are NOT able to install any 3rd party
> firmware that is not certified by ASUS.
> l Current Status
> BU is cooperating with developers to certify their firmware. The first
> developer will be
> certified in 1 month (estimated).
> l Reason
> This policy modification is to ensure ASUS products comply with the
> regulations about
> the power limit, and also improve the security and protect users from exposure
> excessive radio power. There might be complaints before certified 3rd party
> firmware is
> released. Please help communicate with customers when they ask you. Facing the
> regulation change, some manufacturers may completely prohibit 3rd party
> firmware. But
> this way, users have no chance to enjoy the innovative features made by
> developers.
> ASUS chooses to cooperate with developers to provide better usage experience
> while
> complying with the law.
> If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not
> hesitate to let
> us know, we will be more than happy to assist you.
> Please make note of your case number for future reference: =N1706116517
>
> Regards,
> Neil S.
>
> ASUS Technical Support
> http://www.asus.com/us/support/

My reply:

I BOUGHT THIS ROUTER ORIGINALLY, BECAUSE I NEEDED HIGH POWER, TO REACH MY BEDROOM, WHICH IS ABOUT 40 FEET FROM THE ROUTER. IT WAS WORKING FOR 3 YEARS! I ORIGINALLY HAD IT SET TO 200MW.

THEN I UPGRADED THE FIRMWARE RECENTLY AND IT APPARENTLY DROPPED THE POWER OUTPUT DRASTICALLY, BECAUSE IT WAS REDUCED BY 10 db AT MY PC AND NO LONGER REACHES MY BEDROOM! SO YOU'VE MADE IT WHERE I CANT SEE THE POWER OUTPUT ANYMORE AND IT'S NO LONGER THE HIGH POWERED MODEM THAT I ***PAID FOR***! YOU CHANGED THE SPECIFICATIONS AFTER I BOUGHT IT, AND DOWNGRADED IT SO THE ROUTER CAN NO LONGER BE USED FOR WHAT I BOUGHT IT FOR!

SO PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO SET THE POWER BACK TO THE 200MW IT WAS ORIGINALLY, WHICH IS LEGAL HERE IN THE U.S.!

I AM NOT CHANGING THE POWER LIMIT! ALL I WANT IS TO BE ABLE TO USE THE ROUTER AT THE SAME POWER THAT I BOUGHT IT FOR, AND WHICH IT WORKED AT FOR 3 YEARS!