R5 1600 Clocks are set to 1.5 GHZ :(

karmzeta

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016
Hello guys, I'm really sad because I don't know what should I do.

I recently get a new system (I'll list it after the question) and the problem is that my CPU clocks are set to 1.5GHz, the bios said that clock speed is at 3.2GHz as default (I rebooted the bios settings) but CPU-Z and other programs said 1.5 GHz and I ran a lot of times CINEBENCH and the scores were between 300-500... But the first time I build my pc I ran the test and the score was like 1000, like 4 days later I updated the bios version from Live-update app (MSI) and in that moment everything was caos and destruction, my pc didn't startup so I tried a lot of things like removing RAMs, CPU, VGA, basically I disassembled all the system and rebuild it again on many ways and finally the system started up but now the clocks are set to 1.5GHz no matter the changes I make on the BIOS. Changing core voltages and RAM's speed and RAM's voltages works but CPU's speed doesn't.

The system is:

MOBO: MSI Tomahawk Artic B350
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: Corsair Vengence LED (up to 3000Mhz)
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620
VGA: EVGA Nvidia Geforce GT 630 (It's just to have video, I'll get a new one later)

I need help, I need to know if my CPU have problems or other part of the system. I appreciate any help!

Solution
I was able to resolve my problem. I called MSI tech support and found out that the live update BIOS isn't the latest revision. I downloaded a newer version from MSI's website, directly flashed it from a FAT32 USB drive, and everything works now: my CPU clock rate is typically between 3.4 and ~3.7 ghz. FYI, the tech rep said to NOT use the Live Update application for a BIOS update; it can corrupt the BIOS install on your motherboard. Did you do that with your motherboard?

Aetius415

Prominent
May 8, 2017

Karmzeta, I'm having the same problem on a similar build I just put together over the weekend. My CPU is stuck at 1.54 ghz (per MSI's software and CPUID), and it does not budge. Overall performance is very sluggish, and game performance is awful. I'm using the same processor and motherboard:

Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk B350 (non-artic)
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
PSU: EVGA 500 BQ
VGA: MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G

Question: what version of the BIOS are you operating on? I only noticed my problem when I upgraded to revision 1.4.

karmzeta

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016

Hi Aetius415,

The LiveUpdate app say that my BIOS version is H.30
And yeah the performances in everything is awful.
I was thinking that my CPU have an physical problem but looks like it's a BIOS problem.

I want to try to return to an old version BIOS but I'm afraid to it because the last time I tried to do it with m-flash, in the BIOS the file to execute the process was disabled or does not show up, I do not know, it was weird. And after that, the system startup is inconsistently, sometimes works fine and other times show me a message saying that there is no OS to load and I have to restart until it load the OS

Aetius415

Prominent
May 8, 2017
I've tried manually setting the CPU clock speed under the BIOS (to the factory standard 3.2 ghz) but after applying the settings the system locks up.

Do you know how to reset your BIOS to the factory version?

karmzeta

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016

I have tried that too but when OS loads, the clocks speed are locked at 1.5GHz... I did reset the BIOS manually in the mobo but looks like it doesn't return to a factory version, it only reset the values to default... FYI there are two pins near to the mobo's battery, the label say JBAT1, you can use some item like car key or screwdriver that allows the connections between the pins, do it for about 5-10 secs with the PSU off and unplugged and the bios values are restored to default...

You need to boot in M-Flash way to trying to install a new BIOS version, in the BIOS itself there is the option (you need a usb with the bios version there and the booting "thing" enabled, something like installing an OS with an usb) but I researched a little and some guys said that sometimes you can't go back to an old version, so I'm afraid to screw all the mobo doing it :(

btw... I think that my bios version is really different or weird because of my region, I'm from Costa Rica

Aetius415

Prominent
May 8, 2017
I was able to resolve my problem. I called MSI tech support and found out that the live update BIOS isn't the latest revision. I downloaded a newer version from MSI's website, directly flashed it from a FAT32 USB drive, and everything works now: my CPU clock rate is typically between 3.4 and ~3.7 ghz. FYI, the tech rep said to NOT use the Live Update application for a BIOS update; it can corrupt the BIOS install on your motherboard. Did you do that with your motherboard?

Solution

karmzeta

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016

Holy fuck, ye I did the update from the liveupdate app :(

Well I'm going to try to update the BIOS in the m-flash way! Thanks for the answer, I'll comment if works for me!

karmzeta

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016

I already try to update the bios but again, there is no file to choose in m-flash mode...

I downloaded this from MSI webiste: 7A34v15 and I unzipped it and there is only 2 files, a .txt and a file named E7A34AMS.150 and the weird thing is that 150 is the extension of the file :(
So when I try to update the BIOS in the file directory there is no file to choose...

I used rufus with FAT32 and MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI and the freeDOS bootable option... I don't know what else to do!

Any idea?

Aetius415

Prominent
May 8, 2017

You need to copy and paste only the 150 file onto the flash drive. There should be nothing else on there. Also, make sure you plug it into the USB drives in the back of the motherboard.

karmzeta

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016

Yeah I plugged it into back of the mobo and only copied the .150 file... but still no file to load :(
I'm really fucked with this!

Which program did you use to make the usb bootable?

Aetius415

Prominent
May 8, 2017
I just plugged it into the back and selected the Flash-USB option in the BIOS (under Advanced). You should then have the option to select the USB and the file on the USB.

karmzeta

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016

Well looks like the problem was between the chair and the keyboard hahaha!
The thing is that tomahawk arctic and non-arctic have different drivers and bios!! That was all the problem and I did have the last bios version so I reinstall the same but in this case with the flash mode and now everything is fine!

Thanks a lot for your comments! I'm new making post here so I don't know to give you "something"