RX 480 Crossfire 1 card may be overheating

SensibleME

Prominent
May 7, 2017
SYSTEM SPECS
Case: Corsair Air 540
Motherboard: MSI 990FXA Gaming
Processor: FX-8350 (with a corsair H100i GTX cooler)
Ram: 16gb DDR3
PSU: Rosewill RBR1000MS 1000Watt 80+ Bronze
Gpus: 2x XFX RX 480 8gb (the best buy edition ones)
Driver version:17.5.1

Hi everyone. As the title says I am having a bit of an issue with my crossfire setup. After playing some games for some time I am having an issue where one of my cards is overheating causing the PC to crash(I believe at least. One of the cards feels very hot to the touch.) I believe it has to do with the second card is restricting airflow for the first card. I was wondering if anyone knew of any solutions for this. I am looking into possibly setting them up with liquid cooling but I dont want to go buying a bunch of parts I dont need. I have tried setting the fan speed on both cards to max as well as turning all the case fans to max settings in the bios, as well as removing the side panel to allow better airflow. So anyways,

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to better cool these cards or reduce the amount of heat their creating. Im open to aftermarket coolers/liquid cooling as well if it is necessary. But preferably something thats not too expensive

Solution
You could use those PCI Express Extenders and do some DIY within the case to make it fit. It would provide better airflow for the 2nd RX 480. It would cost less than water cooling but it would need some work.

Keannu

Honorable
Mar 24, 2015
You could use those PCI Express Extenders and do some DIY within the case to make it fit. It would provide better airflow for the 2nd RX 480. It would cost less than water cooling but it would need some work.

Solution