i5 4570 bulk CPU won't run at 3.6GHz

AJ Kenway

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Hi,

I recently bought a i5 4570 (bulk) from a secondhand store in Japan. Specs in intel ark says that the cpu can run up to 3.6GHz on turbo mode but its only running at 3.4GHz on turbo. I also set the max (3.6) and min (2.8) speeds via UEFI but it does not hit 3.6GHz. Please help :(

Solution
Perfectly normal, as others suggested turbo boost measures 'up to' meaning a single core. Generally 1 core fully loaded reaches max, 3.6ghz in your case. 2 cores at 100% usually lowers to 3.5ghz and 3-4 cores drops to 3.4ghz. That's according to intel's data sheet for haswell's turbo boost architecture and how it's designed to work.

You didn't get a bum chip.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
it will only hit 3.6ghz when using a single thread AND it has the thermal headroom to do it. So my first question is what are your temps? What program are you using trying to get boost to work? Did you make sure turbo was enabled in bios/uefi? Also since you brought up you got the CPU are you 100% certain you got a retail model and not a engineering sample? This sometimes happens when buying used/heavily discounted CPUs.

MAX TURBO is the value at 3.6GHz. As said, partially used CPU.

The amount drops as the CPU load increases, so 3.4GHz sounds exactly right.

I suggest using the default values in the UEFI (with XMP for memory) though likely it won't make much difference.

AJ Kenway

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

Answers:
1.) Temps at full load is around 62c which is weird because its so damn hot here in the Philippines right now
2.) I used Cinebench and it will constantly run at 3.4GHz. However, using Prime95 at small fft's it will go to 3.6GHz on 2 cores and will eventually plateau again to 3.4GHz.
3.) I did some work on the UEFI settings but to no avail.

Also, on single-core benchmarks like the one built in with cpu-z, it hits 3.6GHz consistently with core 0 and core 6 (alternating between the 2. I dont know why tbh) But, if i were to adjust the clocks on UEFI, it wont let me set 2 of the cores below 3.3GHz. I cant even underclock the CPU which should still be possible even with a locked CPU. This is all new to me sorry. I had an AMD system before I upgraded to Haswell

AJ Kenway

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

Yep, youre right. Didn't make a difference at all. Lol. But hey, atleast i won't need to upgrade my CPU anytime soon

Perfectly normal, as others suggested turbo boost measures 'up to' meaning a single core. Generally 1 core fully loaded reaches max, 3.6ghz in your case. 2 cores at 100% usually lowers to 3.5ghz and 3-4 cores drops to 3.4ghz. That's according to intel's data sheet for haswell's turbo boost architecture and how it's designed to work.

You didn't get a bum chip.

Solution

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
yeah your chip is workingas it should. You'll never stay at your turbo speed long and then the conditions have to be just right. Your actually lucky it will turbo to 3.6ghz with 2 cores. As mentioned that is usually 3.5ghz turbo range and 3.6ghz is for one core.

AJ Kenway

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

I figured it out. It wont run at 3.6GHz on benchmarks but it runs 2 cores at 3.6GHz when gaming while the other 2 cores run at 3.4-3.5GHz (CS:GO, GTA V, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2) so yeah I'm pretty happy about that :)

TRENDING THREADS