I7 5820/GTX 1080 NOT RUNNING Rainbow Six Siege at over 144fps

Bluejax878

Prominent
May 10, 2017
I've recently built a computer and have installed all geforce drivers, direct x, etc, but while playing Rainbow six siege my computer will not run the game at over 144fps. I usually get 110fps which is unacceptable for such a high end card such as a gtx 1080. Also, I'm running at all low settings on 1080p if that helps. I would appreciate any advice on how to run the game at above 144fps at low settings. Thank you

CPU: i7 5820k
GPU: Evga GTX 1080 SC
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb
SSD: Samsung 960 256gb
PSU: 1200W
MOBO: Asus deluxe ii

Solution

well, still doubt it's the GPU anyway. But, if you want to MONITOR the GPU usage you can use EVGA Precision. There's a steam version but I prefer the other (you login at EVGA to get it).

It's really confusing at first, but you then open it up and look at "OSD settings" in the upper left. Go through each of the settings, starting with "GPU clock" and make sure "GPU1" is highlighted (bright).

You should monitor these:
a) GPU clock
b) GPU usage
c) can do FPS as well if you want here

(set F-key to toggle on/off in game... look at the BOTTOM for the "OSD settings". if you don't set that up you...
Very few modern, demanding games can get over 144FPS, and it's probably your CPU that is the bottleneck anyway based on what you've said.

I suspect if you raise the graphics a bit the FPS will remain about the same. Again, probably a CPU bottleneck with your GTX1080 underused until you raise the graphics settings.

*What is your REASON for trying to hit 144FPS anyway?
Are you trying to enable VSYNC to avoid screen tearing?

If screen tear is bad, then your only option is to force on "Adaptive VSYNC (half refresh)" which will then sync the GPU to 72FPS. You can do that via:
NCP-> manage 3d settings-> programs settings-> add game.... save

You absolutely do NOT want to use normal VSYNC if you can't hit 144FPS. You won't get screen tearing, but you will get added STUTTERING. With 144Hz monitors you will need to consider this so the use of Adaptive VSYNC (or the "half" version) is very important. With the non-half version you want to be able to hit 144FPS at least 90% of the time, as VSYNC is just turned off automatically if you drop below.

*If you have a GSYNC monitor this is a non-issue. In fact, you would WANT to be under 144FPS to stay in the smooth, asynchronous mode. It's about $750USD I believe for a good GSYNC monitor (27", 144Hz, IPS).

Bluejax878

Prominent
May 10, 2017
I'm using an Asus vg248qe. Yes, I believe I went to nvidias website and downloaded the drivers from there directly and installed them. My cpu temp is at 70C and my gpu is at 63C while playing.

UPDATE:
I just want to post again, to re-state that you must, absolutely MUST understand where and when to use:
a) VSYNC ON
b) VSYNC OFF
c) Adaptive VSYNC, or
d) Adaptive VSYNC (half refresh), or
e) GSYNC (if GSYNC monitor).

To reiterate just the negatives->
a) VSYNC ON - causes STUTTERING if you can't match the FPS to the Hz (i.e. 144FPS)
b) VSYNC OFF - causes screen tear no matter what (sometimes horrible, sometimes minimal)
c) Adaptive VSYNC - pointless if you can't hit high enough FPS
d) Adaptive VSYNC (half refresh) - locks to 72FPS max
e) GSYNC - ?? (can't think of any aside from COST of monitor)

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_Ti/22.html

That shows 189FPS with a GTX1080 at 1080p at whatever settings they chose... hmmm.

*I still think it may be a CPU bottleneck. I don't own the game, but is there a SINGLE PLAYER mode?

The FPS can often be much lower if there is a large number of people in a map, so I'm not sure how to find a repeatable scenario. But:
a) IF your CPU frequency is correct (not abnormally low for some reason), and
b) your GPU is fine (which it probably is... it's very unlikely that's the issue especially on lower settings)

*I assume the monitor is attached to the GTX1080 video card (not the motherboard)?

That really only leaves the type of MAP the game is using.

*Also, you can test OTHER games and benchmarks to prove that your hardware is working correctly which again only leaves the game itself, again more specifically the MAP you choose.

Unigine Valley:
-DX11, Ultra, x8AA, full screen, 2560x1440

GTX1080
- 68.4FPS avg
- 32.7fps low
- 140.3fps high

That's just to test the GPU, though I seriously doubt it's related to your GTX1080. The above is my score. Different CPU should not really affect the score. I expect you to be within 5% or so. I have a slightly overclocked EVGA FTW, probably hitting about 1900MHz when tested here (note that the UNIGINE heaven and valley tests show GPU frequency that is NOT correct. just ignore that part and look at the results)

well, still doubt it's the GPU anyway. But, if you want to MONITOR the GPU usage you can use EVGA Precision. There's a steam version but I prefer the other (you login at EVGA to get it).

It's really confusing at first, but you then open it up and look at "OSD settings" in the upper left. Go through each of the settings, starting with "GPU clock" and make sure "GPU1" is highlighted (bright).

You should monitor these:
a) GPU clock
b) GPU usage
c) can do FPS as well if you want here

(set F-key to toggle on/off in game... look at the BOTTOM for the "OSD settings". if you don't set that up you won't see anything in the game)

The GPU clock is dynamic, so drops lower if not stressed hard (i.e. CPU bottleneck). It should be over 1700MHz. Mine under stress with slight OC hits just over 1900MHz.

Your GPU usage should ALSO be high, unless of course a CPU bottleneck. So on LOW settings, if CPU bottlenecked you might see something like 1780MHz, with only 40% GPU usage. Conversely, if the CPU is not a bottleneck (and no other like FPS cap such as VSYNC) you may be at 1880MHz, 94% GPU usage.

CPU?
The easiest way to see if this is the bottleneck is to see if the GPU isn't. The problem with CPU's is that a game might only be able to use something like 3.5 cores out of 6. You can show 60% usage and still be bottlenecked. (reason is mainly that the main GAME CODE THREAD has to run on one single core. complicated sorry.

Also look at the CPU frequency, and ensure all your threads are available.
a) open Task Manager, find the CPU section and show all threads (I believe you should see TWELVE graphs)
b) under load (i.e. Prime95) the CPU frequency should hit roughly 200MHz below it's Max Turbo value (not sure if you overclocked. if not probably about 3.4GHz)

you can also run the Intel CPU diagnostic (google it) to test CPU. shortly after it starts it should also show roughly 3.4GHz in Task Manager... under the graphs under "SPEED". Usually outside of heavy load that will vary quite a bit.

Note that the Intel CPU diagnostic will set to DEFAULT (non-OC) values and you must REBOOT to get your OC back.

**If 3.4GHz is Turbo under load (maybe 3.3GHz), then OC can really help. I've seen people hit 4.6GHz sustained load. That's 35% higher potentially processing power.

*Anyway, I suggest looking at OTHER GAMES and benchmarks for now, then come back to this game.

Solution
Hey,
Every once in a while I take interest in working with someone in more detail.

If interested, I'm willing discuss the above (settings, VSYNC, benchmarks, etc) in more detail. MOST PEOPLE don't have their settings done optimally and simply crank on HIGH or ULTRA which is rarely ideal.

That would be best done via a PM (Personal Message) page.

As part of that I would attempt to find good LINKS, but those get confusing so I could be there if you had questions. For example, here's a page about ADAPTIVE VSYNC which I sometimes use for certain games:
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/16/nvidia_adaptive_vsync_technology_review/

(Max Payne 3 is a great game, but it's one of the few games that run 60FPS with VSYNC ON, but then drop to 30FPS if you can't output 60FPS. I use Adaptive VSYNC for that game so I drop into the 50's instead of all the way down to 30FPS. I get SCREEN TEARING but I tweaked the settings so that's not very often and it's FAR BETTER than suddenly being really sluggish... for 144Hz monitors as I mention above the "HALF" variant of that will synch the GPU output to 72FPS so that may be the IDEAL setting for some games with the GRAPHICS settings tweaked so drops below are minimal. maybe 5% or so.).

*again, Adaptive VSYNC (half refresh) to 72FPS may be ideal for many of your games. you should think hard about the pros and cons, and try it as well (not every game can be forced to every option).

I may be slow to respond sometimes as I have a progressive, degenerative disease.

Cheers,
Jeffrey