Can the i5 2320 handle the GTX 1080?

Xaelvik

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Here's where I'm at; I'm not at a good point financially or otherwise to build the computer I want yet, but I really need to upgrade the video card in my current PC to be able to continue PC gaming at reasonable settings. When I do get around to building my new PC, I intend to build a 4k gaming rig. I would just buy a GTX 1060 for my current rig, but that won't work for 4k gaming when I build a new one. I'm hoping to buy the video card for my next gaming PC now and just transfer it over to my new PC when I build it.

TL;DR: Will the i5 2320 seriously bottleneck a GTX 1080?

Any answers are appreciated,

David

Solution
Hi,

The AMOUNT of bottleneck, or rather let's just say "the amount of FPS drop" will vary significantly between games.

Your CPU is about 90% as fast per core as an i5-4440.

*Thus, I can ESTIMATE that you'd get roughly 70% to 100% of what an i7-7700K would get with the same GTX1080. Again, depending on the game.

**Even when it's SLOWER, I don't expect too much issue getting to 60FPS with good quality settings. Outside of a few games that are really CPU demanding I don't expect too many issues (especially at 2560x1440 which tends to shift the bottleneck towards the GPU).

OTHER:
4K gaming isn't necessarily the best goal. Usually it's better to run a game at 2560x1440 otherwise your FPS may be too low or you need to drop graphics...
For the most part, yes it will bottleneck significantly.

I would suggest building the new PC now with a lesser GPU to fit your budget, and then selling the GPU later to get the 4K capable GPU you want. Whatever new CPU you buy (granted you buy one capable of gaming) will handle 4K with a more powerful GPU.

But first, could you share your complete system specs? Maybe that could give us a better view of where you're at.

USAFRet

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Xaelvik : "Can the i5 2320 handle the GTX 1080?"

Xaelvik

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Thanks for the reply, and here's my specs from DxDiag

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release_sec.170427-1353)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/05/10 19:13:52 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8174MB RAM
Page File: 3302MB used, 13046MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

Display:

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 750 Ti
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1380&SUBSYS_37573842&REV_A2
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 6103 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2016 MB
Shared Memory: 4087 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Hi,

The AMOUNT of bottleneck, or rather let's just say "the amount of FPS drop" will vary significantly between games.

Your CPU is about 90% as fast per core as an i5-4440.

*Thus, I can ESTIMATE that you'd get roughly 70% to 100% of what an i7-7700K would get with the same GTX1080. Again, depending on the game.

**Even when it's SLOWER, I don't expect too much issue getting to 60FPS with good quality settings. Outside of a few games that are really CPU demanding I don't expect too many issues (especially at 2560x1440 which tends to shift the bottleneck towards the GPU).

OTHER:
4K gaming isn't necessarily the best goal. Usually it's better to run a game at 2560x1440 otherwise your FPS may be too low or you need to drop graphics settings (which defeats the purpose) to keep the FPS high.

If you need a 4K monitor that's fine as the game will still scale up, however I would put the focus on a GSYNC monitor with high refresh rate. (i.e. 2560x1440, 27", IPS, 144Hz).

GSYNC (and a good Freesync monitor for AMD GPU's) make gaming smoother. Unfortunately the monitors are more expensive, but you've already discussed 4K. Note you do NOT have to actually hit 144FPS to avoid issues. You can have smooth gaming at 50FPS as the monitor just draws a new frame when told to using GSYNC or Freesync.

(I'm going to make an AMD RYZEN, FREESYNC build and post it below just to give an idea... the GPU I'll use will be an RX-480 or similar but it's a placeholder for VEGA)

Solution
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cps7BP

That is a very quick build just to show what a RYZEN build might look like, AND what Freesync monitor I'd get.

There's no GPU listed. If you decided to go with a FREESYNC build I'd just wait and build the entire thing once a suitable VEGA card is available.

Personally, I think RYZEN is the way to go but it's too complicate to discuss here; the R5-1600 is a 6-core CPU. Of course you can go Intel + GTX1080 or AMD Vega when available as well.

*My main point is actually to go with FREESYNC (AMD GPU) or GSYNC (NVidia GPU). A weaker system with one of these monitors will actually give you a BETTER experience than with a normal monitor and better system.

GSYNC info: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/review-nvidia-g-sync-makes-your-pc-games-look-amaz/1100-6424349/

(there are many crappy Freesync monitors so be careful. I recommend either the Acer or Asus I linked. Some of the cheap ones only work between 40FPS and 60FPS. The one I listed should work roughly between 40FPS and 144FPS... by "not" working i mean if you drop below 40FPS you might get stuttering or screen tearing, then jump above 40FPS and be smooth, then hit 60FPS and maybe VSYNC is ON which has no screen tear but adds lag. CONFUSED? No worries, just ignore those monitors.)

Xaelvik

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Thanks, Photonboy, for the excellent information.

I'm really stuck on this one right now. I want to increase my gaming performance immediately, but I only have two days before work and school start back up, so I just don't have the time to build a PC at the moment (and I want to hold off draining my savings of over $2000+ for a computer and a new monitor until later in the year). I want to just pick up a video card right now, so I can finally play games such as Ark and Playerunknown's Battlegrounds at playable FPS, but as I stated before, I don't want to get a video card that won't work in my new gaming PC. I might just grab the 1080 or maybe a 480 and possibly crossfire later on. I know the games I mentioned are also very CPU dependent, and a new graphics card may not even solve my dilemma. Bah, I'm just going in circles here.

Thanks, everyone, for the info and recommendations, and if anyone has any suggestions at all, I'd definitely appreciate it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 1080 isn't ideal for 4k,its acceptable, but not ideal. At 4k you are still at 60Hz at best, so basically it's just a highly detailed 1080p picture, with all the loss you get when comparing a good 1440p/144Hz gaming monitor.

As far as bottleneck goes, ehh, depends on how you look at it. Truthfully, all that'll happen is the i5 will be trying it's best and the 1080 will be napping, never reaching its full potential. If you are just using it as a stepping stone, no worries, I'd still go with a lower resolution monitor than 4k, get an almost equitable picture, that refreshes faster, creates less input lag and higher fps.