100% Disk Usage Idle, then BSOD Win 10

KaneStaff

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
Hi!

I've had trouble with my desktop computer for over a year now. It BSOD's every once in a while. It started crashing very uncommonly. I just ignored it at that point. Recently, however, it has made my computer practically unusable. It crashes frequently with around an hour of uptime per crash.

It crashes when I'm doing anything. It crashes if I'm playing games, surfing the web, listening to music, performing a Windows Defender scan, or just idling. I don't know any pattern to it.

When it crashes, it freezes for a few seconds, then shows the BSOD for a few seconds. It loads the BSOD to the QR code, then nearly immediately afterward black screens and restarts. It doesn't seem to show an error code that I can see because it flashes away so quickly (it used to display a couple, including CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (hidusb.sys). I thoroughly researched them and couldn't find anything that worked).

Sometimes, after restarting, it does not recognize the boot device. Up to a few days ago, it would simply show the black startup BIOS screen with something like that text on it. It would sit there until I restarted and it went away. In the past couple of days, however, my BIOS loads up and displays "The current BIOS setting do not fully support the boot device. Click OK to enter the BIOS Setup." To solve this issue, I turn off the computer, wait a few minutes, then turn it back on again to boot up Windows from my hard drive. If I turn it on too quickly, it displays the BIOS screen again.

In the past few days, I have noticed that the disk usage is always at 100% or very close to it. Some top users are System, Windows host process, Service Host: Local System, and a few others. They don't sum up to much more than about 5 MB/s, though, so there must be something wrong other than high use.

To my knowledge, none of my parts are overheating. I'm using Open Hardware Monitor to check the temps on my parts, and they all usually stay around 35 degrees Celsius or lower while idling (that's pretty much all I have done on it in the past day when it has been crashing by the hour).

I have tried to enable BSOD dump logging according to the instructions under System Requirements on Blue Screen View's website here. When I open Blue Screen View, it doesn't show any logs.

I have used Crystal Disk Info to see the status on my hard drive. It shows that it is in good condition with no apparent problems. I have read about SMART on some threads here, and Crystal Disk Info shows that SMART is one of my drive's features, but I do not know what to check to see if there is anything wrong with it.

My system's specs are as follows:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0
AMD FX-8320
8 GB RAM (2x2GB, 1x4GB)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
1 TB HDD Blue WD10EZEX
700W Xion PSU

I purchased a full tower somewhere around 7 years ago, and the only remaining parts are the 2x2GB sticks of RAM (I took those out to see if it fixed the problem, and it didn't) and the PSU. I expect the PSU has something to do with this (plus it needs some love), so I'll probably replace it with a 1000W soon (any suggestions?). If the PSU is really the problem, why are all these weird and seemingly random things happening at different times?

The hard drive isn't too old. Maybe 5 years or less? I feel like it's probably not the issue. I have, however, reinstalled Windows, which didn't fix anything.

Sorry this is so complicated and unorganized. If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks a ton!

Edit: I installed an EVGA 750W P2, and it didn't solve the problem. I'll try booting from a flash drive to see if that fixes anything.