from i3 2130 to i5 3470 - possile graphic cards

victorlamana

Prominent
May 11, 2017
Good afternoon ! I'm brazilian and this is the first time posting here, I want some help on choosing the right (or enough) graphic card for 1080p gaming. Here in Brazil these cards are expensive as fuck so....yeah, I should really think on which one to choose.

Right now I'm playing with an i3 2130,hd7770 and 8gb of ram. I mentioned i5 3470 on the title because I might change to it during the next month,

So...I came up to four options:
rx 470 4gb
rx 470 8gb
rx 480 4gb
rx 480 8gb

My PSU is 600w so this shouldn't be a problem, I just need some help for the VGA, on both scenarios, changing and not changing the CPU.

I tried the best I could to minimize grammar erros so....plz, don't bash me on this.

Solution
For a long time 2GB was plenty for 1080p gaming. Right now latest titles at the best possible settings at 1080p reaches and goes slightly past 3GB of VRAM usage mark. I'm inclined to believe that 4GB is the new sweet spot for GPU VRAM for 1080p. Also, the technology is getting older since the first day you buy it, so the only thing being future-proof would be VRAM. Also, don't forget that other components also matter and if you don't upgrade from time to time, then there is no need to have one overkill component in the build - games will demand more and more power which sooner of later will result in GPU bottleneck even though if you do upgrade CPU/RAM/etc..

Now really, for 1080p only 8gigs of VRAM is a total waste, but if you do have...

victorlamana

Prominent
May 11, 2017

Sir, how long do you think these 4gb graphic cards will last?I'm asking this because more and more we see 8gb graphic cards and even 12gb...And I honestly don't know if 8gb is overkill for 1080p gaming

ThomasKK

Reputable
May 1, 2016
For a long time 2GB was plenty for 1080p gaming. Right now latest titles at the best possible settings at 1080p reaches and goes slightly past 3GB of VRAM usage mark. I'm inclined to believe that 4GB is the new sweet spot for GPU VRAM for 1080p. Also, the technology is getting older since the first day you buy it, so the only thing being future-proof would be VRAM. Also, don't forget that other components also matter and if you don't upgrade from time to time, then there is no need to have one overkill component in the build - games will demand more and more power which sooner of later will result in GPU bottleneck even though if you do upgrade CPU/RAM/etc..

Now really, for 1080p only 8gigs of VRAM is a total waste, but if you do have or think about buying a 1440p or even 4k TV/monitor in the future, then you must have big-enough VRAM pool to render/load up such resolutions - in this scenario, 8GB of VRAM would be much better.

Solution

victorlamana

Prominent
May 11, 2017
I dont have plans on gaming on 4K so soon because here in Brazil these televisions are REALLY overpriced....So I guess it is better if I stick with 4gb of vram, right?rx 580 4gb here is not so expensive so i"ll buy it.
Thx guys =)

Just another question, the i3 2130, in most games at least, is it still viable?I finished building this pc last week and I'm happy with its performance in some games I played