Fx 8350 over fx 8370

_Synoflux_

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
I currently have an and fx 4350 which heavily bottlenecks my gtx 970 so I need a new CPU and I have an am3+ CPU socket. Should I go for an fx 8350 or 8370? Is there anything better for that socket? And would that work with a gtx 970 and a 550 watt psu? And is upgrading from an FX 4350 to a FX 8350/8370 worth it?

Solution
The 8370 is a slightly higher clocked version of the same chip. Mostly you can just overclock the 8350 to get the same performance as the 8370. The same applies with other FX chips like the 9370 and 9590, which are just clocked even higher (and get ludicrously power-hungry as a result).

If I had to go with an FX chip, the 8350 seems like a decent pick.

But I'm not sure I can recommend investing any more in that platform. Better to save up some more money for a switch to a Ryzen or Intel platform. It'll cost more, but it's worth it.
The 8370 is a slightly higher clocked version of the same chip. Mostly you can just overclock the 8350 to get the same performance as the 8370. The same applies with other FX chips like the 9370 and 9590, which are just clocked even higher (and get ludicrously power-hungry as a result).

If I had to go with an FX chip, the 8350 seems like a decent pick.

But I'm not sure I can recommend investing any more in that platform. Better to save up some more money for a switch to a Ryzen or Intel platform. It'll cost more, but it's worth it.

Solution

McDuncun

Honorable
That is very true, there is no realistic upgrade path from there after you get the cpu and then you will be stuck forever. Getting a new setup is the best way to go. In your case if the PSU is still fine then all you have to change is the motherboard, cpu and ram. The GPU is still fine as well.